Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What WAS the Name of That Pub? - Brighton Edition

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
OK so round the back of AmEx (the offices not the stadium) there was a pub that has since been turned into housing, must have been in the past ten years or so, and I can't remember its name.

Would have been corner of John Street and Ashton Rise.

Can you NAME THAT PUB?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
Lion & Unicorn! That's the badger. Cheers

As for the Spreadeagle, that was further north, into Hanover. End of Belgrave Street. I remember it well as I used to live next door. Lively place...

OK so here's round two for you. The chaps from Brighton Bier are opening their second brew pub in the city, taking over the Jury's Out on Edward Street. But before it was given that terrible name, what was the pub known as?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Lion & Unicorn! That's the badger. Cheers

As for the Spreadeagle, that was further north, into Hanover. End of Belgrave Street. I remember it well as I used to live next door. Lively place...

OK so here's round two for you. The chaps from Brighton Bier are opening their second brew pub in the city, taking over the Jury's Out on Edward Street. But before it was given that terrible name, what was the pub known as?

The Thurlow Arms.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
We used to know it as that too, wasn't it because it was a watering hole favoured by the local policemen ?

That seems to be a popular belief. Others say that at one time the front was covered in blue tiles and another is that it was used by one of Brightons razor gangs and one of their rival gangs used The Racehorse ( junction Elm Grove/Queens Park Rd ) known as the Red House.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Anyone know the old name of the Brighton Beer Dispensary in Dean Street? I used to go there over 20 years ago and had completely forgotten it existed until I recently started visiting Brighton Beer.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
It was indeed the Walmer Castle. And a crying shame it's not still named such.

Easy one that one.

Further up the road, on the corner of Islingword Road, is the Islingword Inn. But it hasn't been that for long. What was it before?

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
It was indeed the Walmer Castle. And a crying shame it's not still named such.

Easy one that one.

Further up the road, on the corner of Islingword Road, is the Islingword Inn. But it hasn't been that for long. What was it before?

The Beaufort. ( The Duke of Beaufort ).

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Anyone know the old name of the Brighton Beer Dispensary in Dean Street? I used to go there over 20 years ago and had completely forgotten it existed until I recently started visiting Brighton Beer.

It was the Prince Alfred

Not to be confused with the Prince Albert

Prince Arthur.

Not to be confused with the Prince Alfred or Prince Albert.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here