Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A question about my first Brighton game..

blockhead84

Jan 1, 2017
Hi everyone,

I just started living in Brighton since March 2016 and I’m following Brighton & Hove Albion since then. I love football but I don’t particularly support any football club since I moved to UK(which is 2008, I was living in Turkey before and I was a Galatasaray fan when I was a kid), and I found myself as a Brighton fan since I moved to this city :)

Anyway I couldn’t watch any games live in UK yet, and I thought Brighton games would be a perfect start. Then I bought a ticket to FA Cup 3rd Round game against Milton Keynes Dons. None of my friends are interested in football(I know, weird!!) so I’m going alone. After I purchased the ticket, a question came into my mind; Is it okay to go to a game alone? Actually this is a stupid, I never thought about this when I was buying the ticket, but then I read a guy in Celtic forum asking this question and people were advising him not to go alone, that it would be weird. Maybe Celtic games are different, more heated atmospheres etc. I don’t know.

Anyway this has been already a very long post. What do you think? Will I be the weird guy, or will Brighton people welcome me with their arms open? :D

Ö.

SAC

May 21, 2014
This is England. You will be politely ignored.

Unless you try to jump a queue.

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
Welcome to the Seagulls family mate.
I am sure you will not be alone for long.
Just start talking to the people around you, We're quite nice really.
I have to say your English is much better than my Turkish :)
Where will you be sitting?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Hi everyone,

I just started living in Brighton since March 2016 and I’m following Brighton & Hove Albion since then. I love football but I don’t particularly support any football club since I moved to UK(which is 2008, I was living in Turkey before and I was a Galatasaray fan when I was a kid), and I found myself as a Brighton fan since I moved to this city :)

Anyway I couldn’t watch any games live in UK yet, and I thought Brighton games would be a perfect start. Then I bought a ticket to FA Cup 3rd Round game against Milton Keynes Dons. None of my friends are interested in football(I know, weird!!) so I’m going alone. After I purchased the ticket, a question came into my mind; Is it okay to go to a game alone? Actually this is a stupid, I never thought about this when I was buying the ticket, but then I read a guy in Celtic forum asking this question and people were advising him not to go alone, that it would be weird. Maybe Celtic games are different, more heated atmospheres etc. I don’t know.

Anyway this has been already a very long post. What do you think? Will I be the weird guy, or will Brighton people welcome me with their arms open? :D

Ö.

You will get out of it what you put into it. The crowd will be a lot smaller than usual and the team will be a little different because it is the Cup but that aside you will have the opportunity to have a look around and decide on important issues like choice of beer and mode of transport. Enjoy the game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I found myself as a Brighton
Welcome.

Assuming you're genuine, I should warn you that we get plenty of new posters who are not, so you will be treated with suspicion. Don't worry about it, it will pass in time.

You'll be fine on your own, but it might not be the best game to see. A league game would be better, so try to get to one of those too.

Are you Turkish?

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

That might not be the best game for your first Seagulls experience as the stadium is likely to be half empty but also guess that is good as the crowds will be less so it won't be too chaotic. Going alone is fine, loads of people do it. Just smile and say hi to the people sitting next to you! Don't expect a big conversation they'll probably just smile back.

Normski1989

Apr 15, 2015
Hove
That might not be the best game for your first Seagulls experience as the stadium is likely to be half empty but also guess that is good as the crowds will be less so it won't be too chaotic. Going alone is fine, loads of people do it. Just smile and say hi to the people sitting next to you! Don't expect a big conversation they'll probably just smile back.

I prefer to think of the stadium as half full. #optimist

crabface

Mar 24, 2012
Watch out for the lack of stairs leading to the coaches after the game, very hazardous if you are alone.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Hi everyone,

Ö.

1) Firstly, ignore some of the silly reponses you get to this. It's only because we get some rival fans trying to wind us up. You are most welcome.
2) There is nothing strange about going alone. Nothing to worry about. You may get to know some supporters over time.
3) This Saturday won't quite have the same atmosphere as other games but will be a good introduction.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
*waits for the followup post about atmosphere and people leaving early*

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here