Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Amex or Goldstone?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Just wondering about the carnage and misery that got us to Falmer and our spanking new state of the art stadium, The Amex. Great days indeed for the Albion. Given the choice though, would anyone prefer to have kept and upgraded the old Goldstone? To me its a complete no brainer - Goldstone 100% but that is because I grew up bouncing around the NS and it's in my blood. What say you lot? Poll anyone?

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
There was never room to upgrade the goldstone was there. The old shoreham rd behind the north, the houses behind the east had some sort of order which prevented a roof ever being put on the east terrace. The west had a road behind it and the garages behind the south had no intentions of ever selling to the club at the time.The footprint of a stadium nowadays is much much bigger than it used to be. This allows for more supporter room around the outside, safety etc as well as room to include all the lounges, hospitality.
The Amex has changed our club for the better permanently IMO.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
The Goldstone lovely as it was at which I attended games from 1959-1997 was not fit for purpose and being upgraded would have a limited capacity of around 20,000 all seated.

It's a no-brainer Amex all the way.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Goldstone was a colourful part of our history but the site was cramped and limited, in the latter years the only atmosphere came from the North with the rest of the ground dead.

The Amex is beyond our wildest dreams

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I loved the Goldstone because it was home, but in the end there wasn't really much to love about it. It was run down, and rarely full after circa 1988. The North always had an atmosphere but nowhere else did very often.

Ultimately though, there wasn't the space to expand. By way of comparison, the Amex has something like 4 times the footprint - we were always going to have to move. Just be thankful that Bloom arrived with his billions when he did, otherwise we might have ended up with something like Oxford's 3-sided shoebox ground, which would still have been a massive upgrade on Withdean.

With that in mind I almost feel duty bound to say I prefer the Amex, and frankly it is a superb place to watch football which is why our gates are absolutely enormous. To put this into context, the last time a big club like Nottingham Forest averaged as high as we are doing this season, it was 1979 the season after they finished champions of England and the season they won the European Cup. Closer to home, massive Portsmouth haven't averaged as high as our average gate this season since 1958.

Jan 30, 2008
Just wondering about the carnage and misery that got us to Falmer and our spanking new state of the art stadium, The Amex. Great days indeed for the Albion. Given the choice though, would anyone prefer to have kept and upgraded the old Goldstone? To me its a complete no brainer - Goldstone 100% but that is because I grew up bouncing around the NS and it's in my blood. What say you lot? Poll anyone?
Goldstone PROPER, Amex PLASTIC FANTASTIC :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
regards
DR

Goldstone last 5 years division 2 average gates:

Amex last 5 years division 2 average gates (not including the 28,000 we're averaging this season):

I know gates overall are up in that time, but in 1990 when we got to Wembley, our average gates were 16th highest in the division - lower than Barnsley,Swindon, Oldham and Millwall.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
regards
DR

Fair enough. I suppose the expansion needed to get us to PL standards would have been impossible. I love the atmosphere/facilities at the Amex, hoping that SS will be a part of our future at the Amex so we can get the NS roar back to full capacity. Perfection.

Jan 30, 2008
Goldstone last 5 years division 2 average gates:

Amex last 5 years division 2 average gates (not including the 28,000 we're averaging this season):

I know gates overall are up in that time, but in 1990 when we got to Wembley, our average gates were 16th highest in the division - lower than Barnsley,Swindon, Oldham and Millwall.

i'm not talking about Gates, the Goldstone was the clubs birth place therefore it will always be number one , footballs gone all plastic and the Amex sits nicely into that market , if you buy into it fair do's SADLY THE WHOLE EXPERIENCE IS STAGED MANAGED FOR ME
regards
DR

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I loved the old Goldstone ground. It was a dump, but it was our dump. I love the Amex where I can watch football in the dry, have a drink behind the stand, and go to the toilet without paddling in detritus.

It's possible to love both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here