Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tony Allen - the drummer

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm thinking of going to see this chap live but know little about his career aside from his Damon Albarn work and the fact he was Fela Kuti's drummer.

Can anyone out there recommend a good starting point with his recorded music? And what should I expect live? How does it work when the drummer is the main man? I presume he will have other musicians? I presume it will be a retrospective show? But given his huge output over the decades, not to mention different styles, what does he currently perform? Googling doesn't help much given the huge back-catalogue which doesn't mean much to me.

Thanks for any help.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Thank for this. If I wanted to listen to an album....where would I start? What's a good entry level long player?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If you want to hear the next generation Tony Allen, check out Femi Koleoso of the Ezra Collective. Brilliant drummer !

You might want to check out Moses Boyd as well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Just bought my ticket. It's the Tony Allen Quartet playing the music of Art Blakey and part of a Berlin Jazz Festival. I have also invested in the Rocket Juice album (on vinyl) and Secret Agent albums.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here