Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Lewis Dunk better than Mark Lawrenson?

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
:bowdown: I wasn't lucky enough to see Lawro in the stripes first hand, but I have heard stories of his mazy runs and ariel dominance. Is Dunk in the same league? And if so, could he be better? He is just unbelievable in the air, can put a 70 yard diagonal pass on a pinhead, likes the occasional surge forward and scores goals..

I'm a JCL who's first game was in '96 (aged 9!) and I haven't seen anyone as good. :bhasign:

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
At this moment in time in Dunkys development i think Lawro is the better. However watching Dunks progress particularly this and last season I think he has every possibility of being the better of the two.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Lawrenson was a gazelle amongst buffalo. He had time and space when others around him were panicking. He could also play in central midfield. Dunk is a classic centre half who is a great stopper, but I would not put him in the Lawrenson class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No but he is as good as Lawrenson was when he first came here and he is developing at pace now. Some of his runs from defence with the ball are very Lawrensonesque.

He might turn out to be as good.....hopefully with us...

silverwizard

Nov 10, 2009
No, he isn't. In my view Lawrenson was and still is the best all round player to have ever played for the Albion in my lifetime (I'm 70 later this month).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:bowdown: I wasn't lucky enough to see Lawro in the stripes first hand, but I have heard stories of his mazy runs and ariel dominance. Is Dunk in the same league? And if so, could he be better? He is just unbelievable in the air, can put a 70 yard diagonal pass on a pinhead, likes the occasional surge forward and scores goals..

I'm a JCL who's first game was in '96 (aged 9!) and I haven't seen anyone as good. :bhasign:
IMHO Lawro was better. Put it this way - he was a stand-out player for us in the top division, and then went straight to becoming a stand-out player in the top team in the top division, regularly winning championships and European Competitions.
Mind you, I'm still very happy we've got Dunk at the moment.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
No but he is as good as Lawrenson was when he first came here and he is developing at pace now. Some of his runs from defence with the ball are very Lawrensonesque.

He might turn out to be as good.....hopefully with us...
This with knobs on Icy Gull. I remember those languid, long-strided surges out of defence from Lawro but I honesty belief Duncky has the edge. I'm not sure about the 'goals-for' tally (please let us know someone) but I would think our Sussex boy has the edge.... and doesn't he just 'ping' the most marvellous long balls. IF HE WAS PLAYING FOR THE ARSE/MC/MU HE WOULD BE ENGLAND'S FIRST CHOICE

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
This with knobs on Icy Gull. I remember those languid, long-strided surges out of defence from Lawro but I honesty belief Duncky has the edge. I'm not sure about the 'goals-for' tally (please let us know someone) but I would think our Sussex boy has the edge.... and doesn't he just 'ping' the most marvellous long balls. IF HE WAS PLAYING FOR THE ARSE/MC/MU HE WOULD BE ENGLAND'S FIRST CHOICE

Think Rio, Cahill and he's better

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
No, absolutely not in the class of Lawro... yet! But he has all the attributes to push on. Don't forget that Lawro was as accomplished a midfielder as he was a centre half.

TheDuke

Oct 28, 2011
Arundel
No, absolutely not in the class of Lawro... yet! But he has all the attributes to push on. Don't forget that Lawro was as accomplished a midfielder as he was a centre half.
Mr Nomad.... I hoped you have watched both as many years as I have. Your Lewis D defo has more potential and we will not be able to hang on to his coat-tails. He's destined to reach for the stars

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here