Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sourdough Bread making... HELP !

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I have been trying to make Sourdough bread for the last couple of months and I am close to quitting now. So far I have 6 failures out of 7 attempts using recipes from Paul Hollywood and Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall and I'm getting fed up with the investment in time, let alone Kilos of flour just to keep throwing "Bricks " or flatbreads away after all the work. Anyone got any suggestions for recipe ideas or chef's who a pretty easy to follow ?
I did find a Sourdough baking website but found the huge amount of procedures and hours needed would be impossible to follow unless housebound or in prison.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I have been trying to make Sourdough bread for the last couple of months and I am close to quitting now. So far I have 6 failures out of 7 attempts using recipes from Paul Hollywood and Hugh Fearnley-Wittingstall and I'm getting fed up with the investment in time, let alone Kilos of flour just to keep throwing "Bricks " or flatbreads away after all the work. Anyone got any suggestions for recipe ideas or chef's who a pretty easy to follow ?
I did find a Sourdough baking website but found the huge amount of procedures and hours needed would be impossible to follow unless housebound or in prison.

Are you making by hand or in a machine?

I've never used the latter but have made it by hand. The trouble with sourdough is that it does take a lot of fiddling about and a lot of time - which is why I've made it a couple of times and don't bother any more.

What did you do for the one in seven that did work? Can't you copy your steps for that?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Are you making by hand or in a machine?

I've never used the latter but have made it by hand. The trouble with sourdough is that it does take a lot of fiddling about and a lot of time - which is why I've made it a couple of times and don't bother any more.

What did you do for the one in seven that did work? Can't you copy your steps for that?

Yes, not using a bread machine... i'm not sure about the one I got right, that was attempt 3, about a month ago. I followed one of the recipes and it was too wet so added more flour then it got too dry so added more water so ended up way off the original, yet somehow it worked ! Usually the disaster comes when transferring to the Stone or slashing it across the top with a knife or it just collapses in the oven half way through baking.

The problem is for me that there is always something going to go wrong somewhere, it's not always the same fault.

Currently trying a recipe by the Hairy Bikers, on second prove at mo and looking good but I have had problems with their recipes before as the book I have does not seem to have been proof read and the proportions are often wrong.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

My wife uses JO recipe, with success, as has a gluten intolerance.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/bread-recipes/sourdough-bread/?family-food-category=105001

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I love sourdough and used to make it but it is such a faff that I no longer bother.
Currently favouring baguettes :lol:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
My wife makes outstanding sourdough, but getting the starter up and running definitely took a fair bit of dedication and patience.

She used this recipe for the starter

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/rye-sourdough-starter-in-easy-steps/

I'm biased obviously, but I'd say the results are right up there with the best bakeries in town, including Infinity, where the starter has, I think, been in use for about 20 years.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My wife makes outstanding sourdough, but getting the starter up and running definitely took a fair bit of dedication and patience.

She used this recipe for the starter

https://www.weekendbakery.com/posts/rye-sourdough-starter-in-easy-steps/

I'm biased obviously, but I'd say the results are right up there with the best bakeries in town, including Infinity, where the starter has, I think, been in use for about 20 years.

Thanks, just found a very simple but good recipe in here !

seagull 1979

Praying for points
Aug 29, 2011
Bicester
Any sourdough starter recipe is pretty basic, equal amounts of flour and water (100g of each) then discard 100g per day and re feed with a 50/50 mix, keep going for about 7-10 days. Then you need to make a sponge using 100g of starter (don't forget to feed it after) with 300g of flour and 300g of water, leave that to ferment for 4+ hours and the add 350g more flour and 15g of salt then kneed well by hand, generally if you can't see the dough pulling apart when your kneeling you are about done but it takes at least 15 minutes. Rest until double in size, knock back and shape, leave to rise again until it springs back (about half the original proofing time) then bake at 220 for 45 minutes. If you are worried about it falling do the second proof on the tray you are going to put in the oven.

If you want it more source remove some of the water and replace with lemon juice.

Keep going, when you crack it all the effort will have been worth it

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've tried a few recipes, and there are so many details to convey it'd be easier done over the phone, or even at the Amex. If you're that interested, PM me.

Tony Towner's Fridge

Aug 22, 2003
GLASGOW,SCOTLAND,UK
Any sourdough starter recipe is pretty basic, equal amounts of flour and water (100g of each) then discard 100g per day and re feed with a 50/50 mix, keep going for about 7-10 days. Then you need to make a sponge using 100g of starter (don't forget to feed it after) with 300g of flour and 300g of water, leave that to ferment for 4+ hours and the add 350g more flour and 15g of salt then kneed well by hand, generally if you can't see the dough pulling apart when your kneeling you are about done but it takes at least 15 minutes. Rest until double in size, knock back and shape, leave to rise again until it springs back (about half the original proofing time) then bake at 220 for 45 minutes. If you are worried about it falling do the second proof on the tray you are going to put in the oven.

If you want it more sour remove some of the water and replace with lemon juice.

Keep going, when you crack it all the effort will have been worth it

This is a good starter. I had a sourdough starter going for about 18 months , started using grapes as the source of the sugar for the feeding of the natural air-born yeasts. The main thing I found is that you need far more dough than the recipes state. Also sometimes, especially in the Winter the starter gets very lazy and lethargis. Need to refresh it with grapes or sugar to get it going again. Needs much longer to prove than other non sourdough dough.

TNBA

TTF

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Great thread and responses. Hope you get that Sourdough.
I enjoy a porridge and yoghurt bread made for me. Can supply recipe if required.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach

I went on a pizza making course at The Hearth in Lewes back in March I think and managed to scrounge a sourdough starter from them, I keep it in the fridge and bring it out at weekends to feed it, regardless of whether I bake or not. Assuming that you have an active starter, it could be that the success/failures are weather related. In the summer I was able to leave my starter out and after a quick dose of flour and water it would happily bubble away. This time of year I stick it in a warming drawer, otherwise it is too cold and just sits there sulking.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Coincidentally I started some the other day and then saw this thread.

Has started to a bit fruity so all ok :)

Now like the Urban Liberal Low Carbon **** that I am...I have it going in a kilner type jar (from the pound shop)

Do I keep the lid closed or does it have to breathe (currently closed)

.. and after the first use and feed can I keep it in the fridge ?

Thanks Hipsters in advance.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I find buying the bread from a baker is far easier and more successful, although accept that unless you time it right you do miss out on the still warm slice

Larry Day

May 13, 2016
Haywards
Had a six-month spell baking sourdough, using this method from The Guardian. Worked v well.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/apr/14/make-your-own-sourdough

Get the starter right (organic rye) and you'll get decent loaves. Very little kneading required too.

Unpopulist

Dec 24, 2016
This is the only football club forum which could have this thread. And I don't mean that as a bad thing.

Anyway, might have to get the long-neglected bread machine out the cupboard!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Coincidentally I started some the other day and then saw this thread.

Has started to a bit fruity so all ok :)

Now like the Urban Liberal Low Carbon **** that I am...I have it going in a kilner type jar (from the pound shop)

Do I keep the lid closed or does it have to breathe (currently closed)

.. and after the first use and feed can I keep it in the fridge ?

Thanks Hipsters in advance.

I have always used a Kilner type jar but don't usually clip it fully closed. I think some air needs to get in and I'm pretty sure the action of the yeast producing CO2 might well explode it if left too long !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here