Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4K TV upgrade

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'm looking to upgrade my 6 year old Sony LCD screen to a 55" 4K model.

I'm tempted by the LG OLED (B6 model is now down to £1700) as they look amazing, however can it be justified when there are Samsung and Sony LCD models at almost half the price. Sound is not an issue as that will go through the AV receiver but a bit of future proofing would be good (HDR content?).

Any thoughts from the assembled wisdom of NSC?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I'd wait a year for OLED TVs to get cheaper, also bear in mind CES is on at the moment so new televisions will be getting announced at that.

Although I definitely think it's worth stumping up extra money for an OLED.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
I'd wait a year for OLED TVs to get cheaper, also bear in mind CES is on at the moment so new televisions will be getting announced at that.

Although I definitely think it's worth stumping up extra money for an OLED.
Does CES mean better deals on the current crop though. The cheapest OLED would still be really pushing the boat out and the new CES models are likely to be 2k+ surely?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Either wait for OLED to come down in price or just buy the 55inch LG. The UI and picture are superb and the price is very reasonable.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I've got the LG OLED and tbf I can't spot the difference. Not convinced it was the world's best purchase on my part.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Interesting. A bit of loitering in richer sounds might be needed to see if I can tell the difference!

The good thing with Richer Sounds is that they have a good return policy. If you like it, buy it then if it's not as good as you expected (unlikely!) then providing you have looked after it like your first born you will not be stuck with something you are not happy with.

Check instore or look online for T&C's. :)

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
I'm looking to upgrade my 6 year old Sony LCD screen to a 55" 4K model.

I'm tempted by the LG OLED (B6 model is now down to £1700) as they look amazing, however can it be justified when there are Samsung and Sony LCD models at almost half the price. Sound is not an issue as that will go through the AV receiver but a bit of future proofing would be good (HDR content?).

Any thoughts from the assembled wisdom of NSC?

If you are connecting your picture via your AV Receiver, just make sure it's 4k compliant, otherwise if it's not you'll either just to have the sound via the AV Receiver or you'll need to upgrade that as well?

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
If you are connecting your picture via your AV Receiver, just make sure it's 4k compliant, otherwise if it's not you'll either just to have the sound via the AV Receiver or you'll need to upgrade that as well?
Fortunately I considered that when I bought it - has 4k up scaling built in but I expect the TVs do a better job of that now.

Hereford Gull

Jan 21, 2004
Margaret River WA
Recently bought a LG 770v, very pleased with picture. Connected to av receiver via optical cable, but installers reckoned that the latest soundbars give better sound than my 10 year old onkyo.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's strange how companies become more respected. When I was selling shite for Alan Sugar in the late 80's our main competitors were Samsung and Goldstar (LG) as they were equally shite. At the time the only main stream brown goods to buy with any respectability were Sony or Panasonic (B&O were, and are, in their own class). Now LG and Samsung are arguably the two major brown goods companies.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here