Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Train fares rise by an average of 2.3%

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
"Rail passengers are facing higher fares across the UK as average price increases of 2.3% are introduced on the first weekday of the new year.

The increase covers regulated fares, including season tickets, and unregulated, such as off-peak tickets.

Campaigners said the rise was a "kick in the teeth" for passengers after months of widespread strike disruption.

The government said it was delivering the biggest rail modernisation programme for more than a century.

Even if you allow for inflation, rail fares have gone up by around 25% since the mid-1990s.

Some tickets have spiked by 40% in just a decade.

Why? Because successive governments have been changing the proportion of the rail bill paid for by passengers.

It used to be around 50%. Today it's around 70%."

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hopefully the shysters that are GTR will be forcibly stripped of their franchises earlydoors in 2017 and some semblance of sanity to the provision of public transport services restored. Their captive customers and hard-working frontline staff deserve far better.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
Over £5k a year for the 25-30min journey between Reading and London now...and you have to slide down the window and open the door from the outside! You Brighton folk have it good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Should be a 10% cut based on their appalling performance. It should only rise if stretchable criteria are met. So bad stats no rise

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Over £5k a year for the 25-30min journey between Reading and London now...and you have to slide down the window and open the door from the outside! You Brighton folk have it good!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

At least you have trains ... we don't.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Steep rise for such a crap service

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The rail service is NOT FIT FOR PURPOSE in Sussex.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
It's astonishing how tolerant the British people are these days as they just accept these hideous rises for a poor poor service....in days gone by people would March or riot like the hideous poll tax etc.Personally I think the council tax is worse and you have the bedroom tax in council properties as well etc etc.

These days it's sadly nothing really to do with the government due to privatisation and pleasing the demands from the shareholders....sad times ahead!!!

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
This is not the attitude that won us 2 world wars.
It is totally unjustifiable.
I noticed that the Government came out with the usual investment in the railways crap.

My point is you can trot out the same news article (or thread on here) every single year with people being outraged at the increased prices for a worsening service. Granted last year was quite spectacularly bad but I never once for a second thought they would be a price reduction on my ticket (even though their kinda has been as we're going to be getting a month back).

Give me a worthwhile cause to back that is going to change things and I'll get behind it. Until then my Meh stands.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here