Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Paul Whelch

Henfield One

Aug 5, 2003
Paul was one of the Falmer For All team and organised the hugely successful Supporters' March from Victoria Station up Park Lane to Marble Arch during the 'War Years' (on the morning of our away match at Fulham). Paul had the ear of several football friendly MPs in Westminster and relentlessly lobbied behind the scenes for both regime change and of course later for Falmer.

This was on Facebook from one of his friends - Paul was admitted to the High Dependency Unit on Boxing Day. He had undiagnosed type one diabetes, which they have now got under control, and they operated on his foot to take away the source of infection. But his breathing hasn't improved, and last night he was transferred to Intensive Care. The consultant said to me that they wanted to sedate him and hoover out the gunk from his lungs. Also, the infection on his foot has got into the bone. They might remove the bone, and there is a chance that the infection could spread anywhere in his body, including his heart or brain. I phoned the hospital this morning. He's under sedation, and they're doing his breathing for him.

I am sure all of NSC will be wishing Paul all the very best and we pray he'll pull through.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Paul was one of the Falmer For All team and organised the hugely successful Supporters' March from Victoria Station up Park Lane to Marble Arch during the 'War Years' (on the morning of our away match at Fulham). Paul had the ear of several football friendly MPs in Westminster and relentlessly lobbied behind the scenes for both regime change and of course later for Falmer.

This was on Facebook from one of his friends - Paul was admitted to the High Dependency Unit on Boxing Day. He had undiagnosed type one diabetes, which they have now got under control, and they operated on his foot to take away the source of infection. But his breathing hasn't improved, and last night he was transferred to Intensive Care. The consultant said to me that they wanted to sedate him and hoover out the gunk from his lungs. Also, the infection on his foot has got into the bone. They might remove the bone, and there is a chance that the infection could spread anywhere in his body, including his heart or brain. I phoned the hospital this morning. He's under sedation, and they're doing his breathing for him.

I am sure all of NSC will be wishing Paul all the very best and we pray he'll pull through.

Very sorry to hear this. As well as playing a big role in the campaign to save the club, Paul is also the founder of Seagulls Over London.

Wishing him all the best and hope he makes a full and speedy recovery.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I remember meeting Paul several times in the 90s and 00s at various supporter meetings including Seagulls over London. He's definitely one of our 'few' who kept the club alive during the war years. Sincerely hope he recovers soon and is back supporting the club he loves in the Premier. It would be a tragedy if he didn't, get well soon Paul.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Best wishes to Paul x

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't really know Paul although I did meet him at one of the demos back in the dark days. I know how active he was in the fight to save our club and I wish him all the best. Hope he makes a full recovery, I'm sure he's in the thoughts of a lot of Albion fans

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
We were talking to Paul and Attila before the Brentford game and it was brought home to me yet again that this wonderful old football club is one of very few causes that could bring together such contrasting souls to fight for their shared beliefs, shoulder to shoulder.

Paul is not one of the best-known veterans of the Albion war years but let none of us doubt the wonderful contribution this mild-mannered accountant made to saving the club. We owe him a drink when he returns to the Amex.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Very sorry to hear this - I hope to see Paul back at the Amex soon!

Lindfield23

Dec 14, 2016
Desperately hoping for a full recovery, best wishes to Paul.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I knew of Paul, rather than knew Paul.
May his health return soon, all the very best to him.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Went to a few SOL meetings when I got my pub in London. Lovely guy, wish him all the best in his recovery

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Paul and I regularly catch the last #27 bus back to Westdene after midweek home games.
I look forward to seeing that green baseball cap on the bus again soon.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Jesus. I know Paul from the very early days of Seagulls Over London and travelling to away games with SOL. Wishing you all the best Paul.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
did all the campaigns, marches, etc and Paul was always first there and last to leave. He also did much lower profile things like litter picking at Withdean.

Wishing Paul a speedy recovery.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I dont know him personally but know of his devotion to the cause so wish hima speedy recovery in time to see us reach The Premier. Many didnt live long enough to see us win our greatest battle which in no small way he contributed to.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I know Paul and will definitely be praying for him to pull through. Sending all best wishes.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Never met him, but he certainly sounds like someone I should offer my best wishes for a full recovery. And probably my gratitude - get well soon Paul

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here