Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Kinks

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
I saw the 'Sunny afternoon' musical at The Theatre Royal last night. It was very good. Just wondered if anyone on NSC has seen them in concert. I saw them at The Big Apple circa 1971 and also at the assembly rooms Worthing. Must have been about 1985? They were very good, but incredibly loud.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I saw the 'Sunny afternoon' musical at The Theatre Royal last night. It was very good. Just wondered if anyone on NSC has seen them in concert. I saw them at The Big Apple circa 1971 and also at the assembly rooms Worthing. Must have been about 1985? They were very good, but incredibly loud.

The reason I have tinnitus:)

Along with Scorpions/Wishbone Ash/Argent/Nazareth/Dire Straights/Status Quo/Thin Lizzy/ACDC/Lynyrd Skynyrd/Gary Moore/ and a hundred other bands :rock:

Last edited:

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Have seen the show and also have been to the Kinks reunion, which they hold every year which Ray Davies always lurks about and usually sings a couple of songs.

Surrey_Albion

Jan 17, 2011
Horley
Saw sunny afternoon on boxing day it was very good the understudy played Ray and wasn't the best the rest of the cast and especially the guy who played Dave were FANTASTIC! never got to see the Kinks as too young but always been a big fan

Binney on acid

NSC Patreon
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
The reason I have tinnitus:)

Along with Scorpions/Wishbone Ash/Argent/Nazareth/Dire Straights/Status Quo/Thin Lizzy/ACDC/Lynyrd Skynyrd/Gary Moore/ and a hundred other bands :rock:

As Jackson Browne (My all time hero) sang, "Let the music keep our spirits high"..............

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We saw the matinee performanc ewith the stand in and were a little disappointed, having seen the original cast in London some time ago. They are my favorite band but I never saw them live. I have seen Ray Davies perform a couple of times - he did the Dome a couple of years ago.
Their back catalog is just brilliant and I would recommend them to anyone wanting to review their 60s and 70s albums.
Davies is just a brilliant lyricist and fully deserves his knighthood.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Saw them at a student union dance. The experience was spoiled rather by Davies' constant sneering and mocking at students and student life in general - as a very young and very new undergraduate at the time I'm afraid I didn't see the funny side - if there was one! To be honest, almost fifty years later, that's pretty much the only thing I can remember about seeing The Kinks live.
Have to admit, though, that they made some cracking records and wrote some brilliant songs.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Shite didn't know it was on in Brighton, would've loved to go.

Have you been living under a rock in 2016? It's had more posters, banners, NSC headers, Argus headers around Brighton than anything all last year and was on for the best part of December. We went on 13th and it was bloody brilliant. Ray was played by the guy I saw singing the high notes for Ian Anderson when he toured TAAB. Dave must be a dream role and the musicians and dancers were terrific. You missed a great night.

Feb 9, 2011
Lancing
I went Thursday night and didn't think much of it, obviously not the only one because a few people around me did not return after the interval. Perhaps a bad night. The one highlight the lad who played Dave, evidently he's a Lancing lad who went to Boundstone.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
I saw The Kinks playing in clubs a few times, they were a favourite then and still are now. As a claim to fame I was part of the audience at a recording of Top of the Pops in Manchester in early 1965 featuring The Kinks and also Long John Baldry. For some reason we ended up chatting to the group afterwards and Ray asked 'is there anywhere we can go 10 pin bowling'? One of the girls I was with said Preston is the nearest, so it ended with 3 Dormobile vans containing The Kinks, Long John Baldry, all their gear and four 18/19 year old's driving miles just to play 10 pin. Needless to say I obtained their autographs and to this day over 50 years later still possess the piece of paper.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Have you been living under a rock in 2016? It's had more posters, banners, NSC headers, Argus headers around Brighton than anything all last year and was on for the best part of December. We went on 13th and it was bloody brilliant. Ray was played by the guy I saw singing the high notes for Ian Anderson when he toured TAAB. Dave must be a dream role and the musicians and dancers were terrific. You missed a great night.

I must've been :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I went Thursday night and didn't think much of it, obviously not the only one because a few people around me did not return after the interval. Perhaps a bad night. The one highlight the lad who played Dave, evidently he's a Lancing lad who went to Boundstone.

Myself and Mrs V went to the NYE show at the Theatre Royal. It was okish and a bit overlong, I think the show was based around a few real stomping tunes and could have been a lot shorter, the finale was excellent and brought a real tear to the eye. Lola is a cracking song but I just thought we took so long to get there.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
What has he ever done to warrant a knighthood?

Wrote 'Waterloo Sunset'
and 'You Really Got Me'
and 'Days'
and 'See My Friends'
and 'Autumn Almanac'
and 'Sunny Afternoon'
and 'All Day and All of The Night'
and 'Lola'
and 'Victoria'
and 'I'm Not Like Everybody Else'
and 'Picture Book'
and 'Set Me Free'
and 'Dead End Street'
and 'Dedicated Follower of Fashion'
and 'Mr Pleasant'
and 'The Village Green Preservation Society'
and 'Stop Your Sobbing'

If you are unaware of any of these, stop what you are doing now and make your life massively better by changing that. Then move on to the lesser known stuff.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Went Friday night - organised before the date of Cardiff game was changed. Thought the show was excellent , most of the actors actually played the instruments as well which is unusual. The show is nearly three hours and went quite quickly.

I would recommend it to people.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Wrote 'Waterloo Sunset'
and 'You Really Got Me'
and 'Days'
and 'See My Friends'
and 'Autumn Almanac'
and 'Sunny Afternoon'
and 'All Day and All of The Night'
and 'Lola'
and 'Victoria'
and 'I'm Not Like Everybody Else'
and 'Picture Book'
and 'Set Me Free'
and 'Dead End Street'
and 'Dedicated Follower of Fashion'
and 'Mr Pleasant'
and 'The Village Green Preservation Society'
and 'Stop Your Sobbing'

If you are unaware of any of these, stop what you are doing now and make your life massively better by changing that. Then move on to the lesser known stuff.

Done more than a lot of others and probably a lot less than a number of people who will never get recognised.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here