Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

17 year's ago today

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Yes, then lifted his shirt to reveal a prepared t shirt with happy new year written over it.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Darren Freeman scored the first goal of the new century at the Withdean. Is my memory correct?

Are you sure it was 1st?
I thought it was the 3rd.

Edit: Yep. All matches were on Monday 3rd Jan 2000
We beat Exeter 4-2 (12:00 ko)

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Darren Freeman scored the first goal of the new century at the Withdean. Is my memory correct?

Are you sure it was 1st?
I thought it was the 3rd.

Edit: Yep. All matches were on Monday 3rd Jan 2000
We beat Exeter 4-2 (12:00 ko)

It must have been the 3rd,was out for the Evening with Darren on the 31st and no i cannot tell you anything..

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
It must have been the 3rd,was out for the Evening with Darren on the 31st and no i cannot tell you anything..

Name the other players?

Sure it was the first.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Strictly speaking, he didn't as the first day of the new millennium occurred exactly one year later on the 1st January 2001.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Name the other players?

Sure it was the first.

Actually it was only Darren,he was with me and a few other School mates,Scott his Brother who also had long hair at the time was out earlier in the evening..

Edit: some names and details are withheld to protect the innocent :lol:

Fungus

NSC Patreon
May 21, 2004
Truro
Actually it was only Darren,he was with me and a few other School mates,Scott his Brother who also had long hair at the time was out earlier in the evening..

Edit: some names and details are withheld to protect the innocent :lol:

Actually, I meant "name the other players that scored before Freeman".

Anyone?

Edit: The Internet seem to think Freeman was first - https://www.google.co.uk/#newwindow=1&q=who+scored+the+first+goal+of+the+new+millennium

Ps. Who knew his full name is "Darren Barry Andduet Freeman"?

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
All the Albion programmes from that season have it as the 3rd.
As does the BBC

There is no way DF could have played on the 1st of January,that said before he went to Worthing he played for Newbury and his old man (god bless you Reg) a big part of Darren's football,used to have a go at us as he would often have a game and we would keep Daz up too late :lolol:

Reg was right though,Darren could have played in the Premier & in my opinion had it not been for the knee problem he would.

Anyway too much info about my old pal..

Last edited:

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
double post

Withdeano

Oct 30, 2010
Horsham
I've an interesting anecdote to this one. Back then I used to work as one of the police football spotters home and away (with Darren before he took over from Alan Goodall). I was working at this match and it was getting a bit feisty and both benches were squaring up to each other (think Alan Cork was there then which explains that) and the match commander assigned me to stand between the two managerial teams in an attempt to calm things. This was mid way through the second half. I was really conscious that I'd be blocking the view of fans in the south stand behind me. Anyway, within a couple of minutes a hefty challenge went in and one of our players sent an Exeter player crashing off the pitch into a bench between the 2 dugouts. The St Johns Amb team sometimes sat on it but they weren't at that time and so it was sent flying. Instinctively I picked up the bench and not the player - don't know why unless my subconscious was telling me he was one of "them" - and I got a right earful from Leroy Rosenior. He called me a f**king something or other. Thing is, he was right. I still can't fathom why I didn't offer the lad a hand up. After the game I apologised to Mr Rosenior and he was very gracious. Funnily enough I met Liam a couple of months back and, as we all know, he too is a very gracious man. I decided not to share my story of when I met his dad at Withdean :facepalm:

One of the previous posters is correct - technically the following year was the start of the new millennium. On that day we lost at home to Southend. I wasn't there as I was at Haywards Heath hospital where my beautiful daughter was born - 01/01/01. The coolest date for a birthday. Sweet sixteen today ❣️
Happy New Year to all.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Wow,it was 1989 not 1999 sorry,27 years ago.....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here