Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone watch The Flying Scotsman on BBC4 ?

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Not a railway anorak,but The Churnet Valley Railway is on my doorstep and of course The Bluebell will close too many of you. Yet the BBC4 programme from inside the driving cab of The Flying Scotsman on the Seven Valley was decent viewing. What was no surprise was the crowds of people at the stations however people were everywhere from bridges,crossings,fields,back gardens just what is about this engine that makes it serious box office ?

Due to visit the Bluebell Railway during the Spring, see http://www.bluebell-railway.com/event/flying-scotsman/ . As an unashamed anorak there are plenty of other locos that I would rather see visit but it would be churlish to deny that, to the general public, it is serious "box office". It was the first steam loco to have been officially recorded as travelling at over 100mph (30th November 1934 in case it comes up in a pub quiz), others tend toward the view that "City of Truro" did the "ton" some 30 years previously - I was fortunate to see and travel behind both of them on the Severn Valley Railway many years ago.

Last edited:

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
That is going to be some event for The Bluebell,goes to show what the connection to E/G is worth.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Couldn't record this programme at the time shown as I had others on record.

Will definitely watch on catchup.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I thought that was an excellent programme.
I also have a steam railway anorak and like the Severn Valley line.
Flying Scotsman is at the Bluebell for about a week all over Easter, so plenty of opportunities for everyone to see her.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Thought this thread related to the legendary Flying Scotsman out of Kings Cross!!

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just watching this now.

Observations...the Flying Scotsman is travelling on a single track railway at probably no more than 30mph in reasonably fine weather.

When it was operating as a regular service I couldn't imagine what it was like for observing signals as the visibility from the "cab" was restricted with both the driver and mate peering round the side of the engine. Couldn't imagine what that would be like in wet misty weather at a higher speed.

Looks very physical. Haven't got a clue what that metal "tennis racket" looking object was that was being passed from track to the footplate.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Just watching this now.

Observations...the Flying Scotsman is travelling on a single track railway at probably no more than 30mph in reasonably fine weather.

When it was operating as a regular service I couldn't imagine what it was like for observing signals as the visibility from the "cab" was restricted with both the driver and mate peering round the side of the engine. Couldn't imagine what that would be like in wet misty weather at a higher speed.

Looks very physical. Haven't got a clue what that metal "tennis racket" looking object was that was being passed from track to the footplate.
Preserved railway, operating under a light railway order, so maximum allowed sped 25 mph. Often unofficially exceeded, though in my experience the Severn Valley is pretty law abiding in this respect.
The 'tennis racket' thing permits the train to run along the single track; no other train can enter that bit of track without having a 'tennis racket' - and only one 'tennis racket' can be handed out at any one time.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Preserved railway, operating under a light railway order, so maximum allowed sped 25 mph. Often unofficially exceeded, though in my experience the Severn Valley is pretty law abiding in this respect.
The 'tennis racket' thing permits the train to run along the single track; no other train can enter that bit of track without having a 'tennis racket' - and only one 'tennis racket' can be handed out at any one time.

Ah thanks for clearing that up. There were no explanations or running commentary which I guess was the appeal of the programme.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Although it looks like a tennis racket on the programme, its actually a loop of steel wire which holds the "token" where it joins together. I couldn't see it on the programme too clearly, but this video from the West Somerset describes it pretty well, and shows what they use the token for.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here