Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Reinstalling windows

I bought a new PC a few weeks ago and only just got around to transfering all my stuff from my laptop.

Id only just installed AVG and Malwarebytes when I restarted the computer as instructed but it froze during the start up.

This happened several times and after a couple of unsuccessful automatic repairs during the boot up I looked at the advance options it gave me and thought the easiest would be to reinstall windows as I hadn't transferred any files yet.

It seemed to work, it went successfully through the intial prcedue which took about half an hour procedure then came up with a screen saying it was now going to install drivers and features and the PC would restart several times and I should just wait till it finished.

The percentage done has been stuck on 2% for the last hour! I can't believe there are that many drives that it would take this long.

As the kepboard and mouse don't have any effect and nothing is moving on the screen the only option other to wait would be to TIOATIOA but I'm wary of doing that as it clearly hasn't finished reinstalling yet.

Any suggestions?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Linux.

Problem solved :thumbsup:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I bought a new PC a few weeks ago and only just got around to transfering all my stuff from my laptop.

Id only just installed AVG and Malwarebytes when I restarted the computer as instructed but it froze during the start up.

This happened several times and after a couple of unsuccessful automatic repairs during the boot up I looked at the advance options it gave me and thought the easiest would be to reinstall windows as I hadn't transferred any files yet.

It seemed to work, it went successfully through the intial prcedue which took about half an hour procedure then came up with a screen saying it was now going to install drivers and features and the PC would restart several times and I should just wait till it finished.

The percentage done has been stuck on 2% for the last hour! I can't believe there are that many drives that it would take this long.

As the kepboard and mouse don't have any effect and nothing is moving on the screen the only option other to wait would be to TIOATIOA but I'm wary of doing that as it clearly hasn't finished reinstalling yet.

Any suggestions?
Could be a failing hard drive. See if you can here any clicking when it gets stuck.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
If you have another PC, download Win10 from the MS site and burn it to DVD. Boot from that, format the hard drive, and re-install from scratch, making sure you check all the privacy options.

That's what I would suggest, but I take no responsibility! But installing Linux would be much quicker!

burnee54

East Upper Hermit
Sep 1, 2011
up the downs
If you have another PC, download Win10 from the MS site and burn it to DVD. Boot from that, format the hard drive, and re-install from scratch, making sure you check all the privacy options.

That's what I would suggest, but I take no responsibility! But installing Linux would be much quicker!

What he said.
Plus always check your DVD for fingerprints, Have been caught out by that one before.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
tux-penguin-current.jpg

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

This is the best approach - you can also use a flash drive instead of a CD.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

I think I've turned into a sad fan boy in my old age as I put a cute little Tux icon on my desktop the other day. Looks lovely nestled in the snow of my Iceland photo wallpaper. :)

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I think I've turned into a sad fan boy in my old age as I put a cute little Tux icon on my desktop the other day. Looks lovely nestled in the snow of my Iceland photo wallpaper. :)

Nothing wrong with that. Tux is iconic.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i would leave it overnight. pausing at 2% seems very early but there are an awful lot of drivers for windows and they'll download over what may be a slow connection.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here