Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Checkatrade Trophy. We are only 3 games away from Wembley.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
We are away to Coventry on the 10th Jan. I would guess we will be playing Kayal, Rosenoir , Towell etc. The final is at Wembley. If we win at Coventry and get a home draw we really should get behind our team. The final is on a Sunday in April. Lots of football to be played though.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
We could go to Wembley and parade the Championship trophy after the game with the checkatrade trophy. That would be fun.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Mansfield Town v Oldham Athletic

Luton Town v Chesterfield

Oxford United v Scunthorpe United

Blackpool v Wycombe Wanderers

Cheltenham Town OR
Leicester City Academy v Bradford City

Yeovil Town v Reading Academy

Coventry City v Brighton & Hove Albion Academy

Swansea City Academy v Wolverhampton Wanderers Academy

D

Deleted member 2719

We are away to Coventry on the 10th Jan. I would guess we will be playing Kayal, Rosenoir , Towell etc. The final is at Wembley. If we win at Coventry and get a home draw we really should get behind our team. The final is on a Sunday in April. Lots of football to be played though.

I have no doubt the real hard core will be be fully supportive of the lads like the day at Withdean against Chelsea Youth where they had to open up extra stands on the day as they massively under estimated the interest of the match.

Not sure of the attendance but it was a good turnout.

Not sure whether our new crop of fans really care enough yet about the squad development, but it would be interesting to see.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We got within 90 minutes of Wembley in 2009, and failed, at Luton. We brought in first team players like Virgo & Kuipers, who messed it up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I have no doubt the real hard core will be be fully supportive of the lads like the day at Withdean against Chelsea Youth where they had to open up extra stands on the day as they massively under estimated the interest of the match.

Not sure of the attendance but it was a good turnout.

Not sure whether our new crop of fans really care enough yet about the squad development, but it would be interesting to see.

That was a completely different competition called the FA Youth cup for under 18s.

D

Deleted member 2719

That was a completely different competition called the FA Youth cup for under 18s.

Yes, that was my point, a youth match with a great attendance in a athletic track, against a league trophy match in a proper football stadium.

We should be backing these lads even more, if the newbies have any interest in football in general.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can't stand this old school v JCL snipes some of our fellow vets spout.

Agreed, in the couple of Academy games I have been to this season there's been plenty of interest from kids/teens, I wonder if they're 'old school' or 'JCLs'?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Yes, that was my point, a youth match with a great attendance in a athletic track, against a league trophy match in a proper football stadium.

We should be backing these lads even more, if the newbies have any interest in football in general.

You have an agenda about Checkatrade. As an oldie, I never did like the LDV vans, Paint Pot trophy or whatever it's called now.

Nathan Jones played his under 23s and got fined £5K for each of the three matches they played. That's a disgrace by the Football League. Youth is youth no matter what division they are in.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

This is flat out rot.

I can and have supported the youth squads, I cannot and will not support our participation in this ridiculous experiment.

The whole point of this thing was to improve and aid English youth development yet clubs are fined for playing their youth players? How is English youth being helped when teams play over-age foreigners? They billed it as a chance for lower league teams to play against Premier League quality opposition yet most of the big clubs turned down the invitation. Omnishambles doesn't even begin to describe it and if the FL have got any respect for the clubs in the lower leagues they'll abandon this next season.

Last edited:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
This is flat out rot.

I can and have supported the youth squads, I cannot and will not support our participation in this ridiculous experiment.

The whole point of this thing was to improve and aid English youth development yet clubs are fined for playing their youth players? How is English youth being helped when teams play over-age foreigners? They billed it as a chance for lower league teams to play against Premier League quality opposition yet most of the big clubs turned down the invitation. Omnishambles doesn't even begin to describe it and if the FA have got any respect for the clubs in the lower leagues they'll abandon this next season.

Agreeed. And "flat out rot" is a term which should be used a lot more, especially on NSC.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
This is flat out rot.

The whole point of this thing was to improve and aid English youth development yet clubs are fined for playing their youth players? How is English youth being helped when teams play over-age foreigners? They billed it as a chance for lower league teams to play against Premier League quality opposition yet most of the big clubs turned down the invitation. Omnishambles doesn't even begin to describe it and if the FA have got any respect for the clubs in the lower leagues they'll abandon this next season.

Great post but it's a FL competition not FA. Otherwise I agree with every word.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here