Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fulham by car.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Given the possible train problems, have been looking to go to Craven Cottage by car but parking looks an issue. Anyone been by car before and any tips please?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I used to drive there, but a long time ago.

I'm guessing it's all in parking zones now. I used to be able to park 5 minutes from the ground. That said, the crowds were well below 10,000 then.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You can park pretty much anywhere except the zone within which the stadium is and the adjacent one on a bank holiday.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Given the possible train problems, have been looking to go to Craven Cottage by car but parking looks an issue. Anyone been by car before and any tips please?

Yes time travel, back in the 80's you could park close by, now, forget it.

theboybilly

Just looked on 'parkonmydrive' and there's a space on Upper Richmond Rd (2 minutes from Putney Station) for £2 (for a part of day booking/£15 all day) But there are others on the southern end of the District Line tube towards Wimbledon then 3/4 stops to Putney Bridge

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

I would suggest parking in Putney, especially along the Embankment, and walking over Putney Bridge, though it might be difficult if it's a fine day, as walking along there is very popular with families. The only bit I would avoid is by the boathouses, as it's right next to the river, and it can flood over the road if the tide is high. There shouldn't be any parking restrictions, as it's a Bank Holiday.

theboybilly

I would suggest parking in Putney, especially along the Embankment, and walking over Putney Bridge, though it might be difficult if it's a fine day, as walking along there is very popular with families. The only bit I would avoid is by the boathouses, as it's right next to the river, and it can flood over the road if the tide is high. There shouldn't be any parking restrictions, as it's a Bank Holiday.

The problem with this is the traffic heading into Putney and back after the game. Any roadworks (like there were last season) will see the main drag very slow in moving. Personally I would drive to Surbiton and park at the station (a fiver on a Bank Holiday) then train/tube to Putney Bridge changing at Wimbledon. You'll be halfway to the M25 by the time you would have got out of Putney in my opinion. It sounds convoluted but in reality there should be plenty of trains and tube services.

Edit: Just checked my Citymapper app and all services appear to be running frequently on that date. So much so that theoretically you could park up at Surbiton station at midday and be in the 8 Bells at Putney Bridge before 12.45. You could be back at your car at 17.45ish too

Last edited:

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The problem with this is the traffic heading into Putney and back after the game. Any roadworks (like there were last season) will see the main drag very slow in moving. Personally I would drive to Surbiton and park at the station (a fiver on a Bank Holiday) then train/tube to Putney Bridge changing at Wimbledon. You'll be halfway to the M25 by the time you would have got out of Putney in my opinion. It sounds convoluted but in reality there should be plenty of trains and tube services.

Edit: Just checked my Citymapper app and all services appear to be running frequently on that date. So much so that theoretically you could park up at Surbiton station at midday and be in the 8 Bells at Putney Bridge before 12.45. You could be back at your car at 17.45ish too

This is a sensible solution. I live in London and always wondered why fans want a parking space near the ground.
Find a nearby station (e.g., Raynes Park) where the scope for parking spaces is much larger and train it from there.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Billyboy,you have nailed it in the fact you are moving and not stck either in traffic or because of an incident.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Since I don't drive a car in London, I'm really not an expert on where to park.

So just repeating....

As a resident (when I see a thread like this) I suggest do what we and brother used to do when we used to drive up.

Park "somewhere" and get public transport back to your car.

We would park in South London for instance if going to the West End.

Oddly I'll be getting usual cab there. It's not the greatest place to get to from where I live.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

There's no need to go into the centre of Putney if you're going to the Embankment. If you go up Roehampton Lane, you can cut through to Lower Richmond Road, and then down one of the side turnings. If you're going to go by train, I would suggest using Oxshott Station. It's on the A244 between Leatherhead and Esher and parking will be free. A normal half-hourly service is running. I have used it quite a bit during the strikes, when I wasn't able to stay at my flat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here