Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mid-table Championship teams to play mid-season friendly to piss off Sky (apparently)

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Leeds and Derby are planning to stick it to the man!

The two Championship sides have arranged to play a mid-season friendly in March as an example of how clubs can earn money “outside the parameters of normal broadcasting restrictions”.

Basically, it’s a giant middle finger to Sky TV, who are the current rights holders for EFL football.

More: https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/leeds...m-_-FBPAGE-_-DreamTeam-_-20161228-_-758836277

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This is a joke, I assume.

Having said that, I've heard the 'alternative' broadcasters have moved it to Thursday lunchtime...

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
A game played out in front of empty stands with no one watching on TV, that will really show Sky.

Surprised they didn't decide they fly off to Asia to play a friendly against Singapore or another national side to increase revenue

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Not that I'd ever wish it on a player, but wouldn't it be TERRIBLE, if Will Hughes or Chris Wood turned an ankle playing in a pointless kick about?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Leeds and Derby are planning to stick it to the man!

The two Championship sides have arranged to play a mid-season friendly in March as an example of how clubs can earn money “outside the parameters of normal broadcasting restrictions”.

Basically, it’s a giant middle finger to Sky TV, who are the current rights holders for EFL football.

More: https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/leeds...m-_-FBPAGE-_-DreamTeam-_-20161228-_-758836277

Both clubs are hoping the friendly will raise funds through ticket sales and alternative broadcasting deals.

Good luck with that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A dumb idea that will probably cost the clubs money. Which broadcaster is going to pay good money to broadcast a friendly between, effectively, two second tier mid table teams and how many fans are likely to turn up. Might be a few who also want to 'stick it to sky' but the majority probably couldn't be arsed because they'll be at home watching something else on Sky Sports!!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
A dumb idea that will probably cost the clubs money. Which broadcaster is going to pay good money to broadcast a friendly between, effectively, two second tier mid table teams and how many fans are likely to turn up. Might be a few who also want to 'stick it to sky' but the majority probably couldn't be arsed because they'll be at home watching something else on Sky Sports!!!

It will be the RESERVE teams of two second tier sides. Can't see the crowd hitting four figures or a broadcaster paying a penny.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Better the devil you know.

Clubs organising individual rights is a slippery slope.

I read some statistic a few years ago (probably changed now) but if the technology was in place clubs like Manchester United could earn more in a few high profile games than they do over a whole season in a collective deal.

At which point football in this country is f*****.

There does need to be some rebalance however. Not sure what that is, but Sky doing some deal with the rail companies over flexible tickets would be a start :)

It doesn't have to be SKY but the reality is that if you want the money from TV companies you have to move the games to fit in with TV viewing habits.

Presumably clubs could have the option to opt out.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People may laugh but said for a while, what's to stop CGI-ing the crowds in? Bit of canned cheers to accompany and who would know? The Chinese audience doesn't care and that's all that counts here. Sod it, do away with grounds too. Just a green screen will do. Think of the money it would save and therefore additional profit to be made. Lovely money, yum, lovely lovely money it's all that matters as long as we've got more money!!!

Don't laugh...football 2040! Heard it hear first.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Better the devil you know.

Clubs organising individual rights is a slippery slope.

I read some statistic a few years ago (probably changed now) but if the technology was in place clubs like Manchester United could earn more in a few high profile games than they do over a whole season in a collective deal.

At which point football in this country is f*****.

There does need to be some rebalance however. Not sure what that is, but Sky doing some deal with the rail companies over flexible tickets would be a start :)

Concur. Does anyone remember Celtic and Rangers in the 90s getting too big for their boots and wanting almost the entire pie. All the other clubs eventually said ok, you're on your own. But you forget, you need other teams to play because playing each other every week isn't going to be very interesting. It called their bluff and they were forced back to negotiating table.

I often wonder if that's not about to happen here too. In many ways the smaller clubs could rewrite the governance if the game of bold enough to collectively stand together. Problem is greed is so rampant, they'd never agree. Someone is always ready to split from the pack if it means they're likely to get rich. It's a human condition. Sad really!

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'd rather see a deal negotiated whereby Sky (or whoever) get two weeks after the fixtures are released to pick their games up till Christmas, then at Christmas they pick the rest of the games. the game times are then set in stone so fans can arrange trains/hotels etc without getting shafted.
Won't happen though, Barber and the rest of the CEO club are more than happy to bend over and take it

But they are both massive clubs, so everyone will surely want to see this. I myself would willingly sell my first born child into slavery to have a chance to witness a football televisual feast between these two giants of the game.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Not that I'd ever wish it on a player, but wouldn't it be TERRIBLE, if Will Hughes or Chris Wood turned an ankle playing in a pointless kick about?

Wood is a little fragile as well. Would never wish harm on anyone but a hamstring injury is quite possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'd rather see a deal negotiated whereby Sky (or whoever) get two weeks after the fixtures are released to pick their games up till Christmas, then at Christmas they pick the rest of the games. the game times are then set in stone so fans can arrange trains/hotels etc without getting shafted.
Won't happen though, Barber and the rest of the CEO club are more than happy to bend over and take it

Can't see that ever happening as, not surprisingly, the TV want to have the games that mean something and that means the teams at the top end playing each other. The problem is the stupidity fo the train ticketing system when two seats next to each other for the same journey can be a massively different price just because one was bought 3 months in advance. Perhaps the train companies should allow advance tickets for a longer period, ie 3 months down to 4 weeks (they might already but limit the number that can be sold!). Plus, for fixtures changed with less than a months notice, there should be compensation for people that have bought travel before then, either refund the cost of the travel or the cost of changing tickets. Alternatively, the train companies could allow refunds on advance ticket sales which would probably be simpler.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here