Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

How long can Alex Neill survive?

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
Away to Brentford next, then home to Derby. Surely if he ballses up those two, then they will give the next three easier fixtures to a new manager, which after the Cup break are away to Rotherham, home to Wolves, home to Birmingham.

If he stays and ballses up most of those five fixtures, they are even struggling with playoff contention. Dead man walking I think.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Must admit I am amazed that in this day and age of "sack now think later" he was not sacked weeks ago. Makes a refreshing change to be honest.

larus

Must admit I am amazed that in this day and age of "sack now think later" he was not sacked weeks ago. Makes a refreshing change to be honest.

Yeah, I agree. The fire-too-quick approach doesn't work. Stability leads to success IMO.

I sometimes wonder how some of our fans will react if we were to get promoted and then start to struggle. You can just imagine some of the things they'd say.
"CH is only a Champioship manager".
"No ambition from TB/the club".
"We need someone to come in and invest".

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Shame they didn't give CH the same leeway when they were a division higher. Like to think that it really galls Delia and her mob as well as the Norwich fans to see how well CH is doing on a MUCH smaller budget than Norwich.

They should definitely sack Neil, he has proved to be close on useless this season. He has been there nearly three years now, not good enough with the resources he has.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah, I agree. The fire-too-quick approach doesn't work. Stability leads to success IMO.

I sometimes wonder how some of our fans will react if we were to get promoted and then start to struggle. You can just imagine some of the things they'd say.

Completely different scenario with Neil, this is his side and he has had plenty of time. They have also already dropped a division. Although you're not wrong in what you suggest re CH, sadly.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Yes he has turned out to be useless, but I'm not sure there's anything to be gained by sacking him now. Any hope of the automatics has gone - their target now is to get in the playoffs. Presumably it will cost them a lot of money to get rid of him, money that they could use to strengthen the squad in January. I think, they'll now keep him for the season and then get rid - assuming they don't win the playoffs.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
6 points from the last 30 really isn't good form! Strangely the 6 points have come against two of the sides fancied to make a bit of late charge, Villa and Brentford, who they thrashed 5-0 only a month ago and now face again on Saturday...

There have been plenty of managers who have gone far quicker - so interesting to see how much longer he can go if he doesn't turn things around.

I am thinking if they get beaten by Brentford, then he probably won't see in the New Year in charge!

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Completely different scenario with Neil, this is his side and he has had plenty of time. They have also already dropped a division. Although you're not wrong in what you suggest re CH, sadly.

Agreed.

I'm not one for impatient owners having more managers than hot dinners either, but Neil is different. Not only for all the reasons you cite, but also because he appears to have completely lost the dressing room.

No one seems to be playing for him or each other. I'm really surprised he hasn't gone already.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Only in football could Alex Neil still be in charge at Norwich, with one of the most expensive squads in the league, after eight defeats in 10 while Rowett is sacked from Birmingham with the budget they have and position they were in when he left. I understand why the Norwich board want to be loyal to their manager and I generally think it is a good thing but surely he must be close to the sack now.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

The difference being that Neil started in the championship, got them promoted, brought questionably and is now languishing in a position worse than when he started. I'd like to think our fans would only turn on CH in a similar position. If we were 12th in 2 years time I'd be amazed if we were any different.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Jan 17. Norwich. A new appointment. North Norfolk Digital exclusive. "Knowing me Alan Partridge, Knowing You Alan Pardew. A-haaa!"

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Saw his post match interview after Reading defeat on Box day.
Had the look of a dead man who won't walk but wants too.
No chance of play offs whilst he is in charge.
Are Norwich finances keeping him in place?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here