Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Real Marigold On Tour

Dawn Korus

Oct 17, 2010
Christmas Island
Really enjoyed it, was funny how their preconceived ideas were turned around and they actually wanted to live in the first down to earth community. The second, POLO Club was so OTT it was unbelievable and you weren't allowed to have your own ideas on politics on religion. The guy who slapped down Miriam was well out of order (he was braver than me taking her on). It's just horses for courses, those types of communities would be hell on earth for some, but utopia for others, personally I could live there.

The celebs were quite interesting, Miriam came across as a right hard nut, but seemed to expose her softer (quite large) underbelly towards the end, Rosemary came across as wanting to enjoy life, Wayne was just as you imagine, but Bobby hardly said a word. Will have to Sky+ the Japan Friday night programme.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Recorded it to watch at some point. Enjoyed the original when they all went to India.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Have never been to Florida and this didn't have me searching for flights. On the other hand, I love Japan so will really look forward to the next episode.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
It was insightful. We are beginning to get retirement villages over here now. The idea of it frightens me but we need our elderly to have the chance of fulfilled lives and not lonely - I think the Americans arguably achieved this, but only by excluding the real world (yes loved Miriam)

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Interesting but I'd hate to live locked away from the real world like that. The one they did in India where the lived in amongst the rest of the community appealed to me much more.
I'm seriously thinking that when I retire in 4/5 years I'd like to go somewhere warmer like Crete or Corfu; the only think that concerns me is healthcare provision as I don't want to be weighing out a big chunk of my pension on health insurance.
The alternative is to winter in the sun with cheap long-term rentals

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
i adore this prog and its predecessor. miriam is a breath of fresh air... if you have never seen her on graham norton - youtube it!! hysterical.
it certainly highlights the growing white-haired economy. im trying to enjoy it for a prog and not make it ping my consciousness about what life will be like for me when or if i reach that age..

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Earlier this week I watched Britain's Pompeii a village lost in time and was amazed at the 3,000 year old trinkets they turned up. Some of these were manufactured in Southern Germany, from materials gathered from further afield and suggested a sophisticated European trading network that pre-dates money. Cynically these could also have been spoils of war, however even 3,000 years ago new shiny things attracted the curious and this I could relate to.

Last night the couple who had moved into Oak Lodge aged 54 and 52 having retired, totally freaked me out. Okay I am a little extreme, I can't cope with the restriction that a week's all inclusive holiday brings, but the idea of surrendering voluntarily to a quarter of a century or more of golf, tennis, ball room dancing and bingo, was/is my very idea of hell. Far more scary than the plastic freak show that followed. Despite that there really is something to be said for this type of community living. Happiness through healthy living and mixing with like minded people, there just seemed to be a complete lack of mental stimulus. It will be interesting to see what they make of some of their other destinations. I must go back and watch the original as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here