Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Merry Christmas from The German Mathematical Society

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Christmas in Germany is such a lovely time and every year the fun-loving German Mathematical Society plays its part and runs a Christmas puzzle. When you're out of things to say to the family try this.

Waldemar the Elf has a job to do: he must collect all the Christmas wish lists from children who live in the Sahara Desert. Starting in Timbuktu, he is able to complete the round trip and return to Timbuktu in six days. But he is an elf, which means he is very small. An elf can only carry a maximum of four days’ worth of elf food. What is the minimum number of elves Waldemar needs to bring with him to complete the trip?

Clarifications: Waldemar can only travel with other elves. Every elf on the trip must eat a day’s worth of elf food every day. Elf food is not available to buy during the trip, but elves can give each other food that they have brought with them. No elf is allowed to leave Timbuktu twice, nor be left stranded in the desert with no food.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It's an elf version of Operation Black Buck
refueeling%20plan19.png

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
This doesn't make any sense. If they cannot be left in the dessert then they must take 6 days worth of food! Which they cannot carry, having extra elves to carry your food means they either don't eat or die in the dessert

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
This doesn't make any sense. If they cannot be left in the dessert then they must take 6 days worth of food! Which they cannot carry, having extra elves to carry your food means they either don't eat or die in the dessert

I don't think puddings are involved.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

They can turn back when no longer needed

Day 0
Elf A,B,C - 4 days food

Day 1
Elf C gives 1 day food to Elf A and heads back
Elf A 4, elf B 3, elf c 2

Day 2
Elf B gives elf A one day food and heads home
Elf A 4 days, Elf b 2 days, Elf c home

Day 3
Elf A 3 days and 3 away, Elf b 1 day and 1 from home

Day 4
Elf B home
Elf A 2 days and 2 away

Elf A arrives on day 6

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Seven.

W. has one companion all the way (1). They are accompanied for two days by four others (5). Then the four elves give one days worth each to W. and companion - W. and companion then go off with four days' supplies to get them through days 3, 4, 5, and 6. The other four elves use their last day's supply to trek back to the first stopping point, where they will be met by two others (total assistant elves now up to 7) who have travelled one day with four days' food. These two will give up two of their three remaining ones to the four returners to enable them to get back, and use their last remaining one to get back themselves.

Last edited:

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
If there are any children living in the Sahara desert then they are probably muslims with no concept of Christmas, elves or food. This is a question of cultural imperialism with which I do not wish to take part. Anyway, the elves were beheaded.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
If one can travel on its own in the orher direction then i make it 4. If not then i make it 6. Where do i collect my elf prize HT?

Eeyore

Lord Donkey of Queen's Park
NSC Patreon
Apr 5, 2014
Four: Waldemar leaves with three elves and four days food each. At the end of the first day, two return having eaten one day’s supply and keeping one for the return journey. Therefore between them they hand over four days food -two each for Waldemar and his accomplice. So for the remaining five days they have two days food plus the three they already have in stock.

Last edited:

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Is the answer, no one gives a shit because they are Elves. And German?

:shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here