Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Boxer Nick Blackwell wakes from second coma

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I didn't even know he was in another coma after injuries sustained in a sparring bout in November. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it. His sparring partner and the trainer have been suspended as a result. Totally irresponsible.
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/38418559

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
I didn't even know he was in another coma after injuries sustained in a sparring bout in November. I couldn't believe it when I heard about it. His sparring partner and the trainer have been suspended as a result. Totally irresponsible.

Don't want to sound insensitive but shouldn't he take some responsibility in all this? If he's missing part of his skull why is he getting in a ring at all?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Don't want to sound insensitive but shouldn't he take some responsibility in all this? If he's missing part of his skull why is he getting in a ring at all?

Correct.

I guess he also missing part of his brain? Totally idiotic thing to do.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015

Maybe the injuries suffered to his brain in his Eubank jr fight affected his judgement. If he wants to take those risks with his life that's his choice but I can't believe the two other people involved, the sparring partner and trainer would have any involvement in this knowing the potential repurcussions of their actions. They obviously would have been aware of his history.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Absolute madness. It does make me feel a bit guilty that I enjoy watching a big boxing event, when these things happen and the condition that my favourite boxer Muhammed Ali was in after his career ended.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For us, yes but it may be for him that he knows no other way to exist and thus must get back into the ring.

Okay. I understand this. If this is the case then he needs some help/counselling.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I saw a recent documentary about Ali. Sadly, he was showing very clear signs of head injuries towards the end of his career.
Yeah, he should have retired earlier. The last 2 fights with Holmes and Berbick should not have been allowed.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thankfully Lennox Lewis doesnt show any signs of having boxing related injuries. Nick Blackwell should never be allowed to get into a boxing ring yet alone to even spar

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

I hope, but doubt very much that private insurance is covering the huge medical bill. Idiotic of everyone involved.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here