Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Most expensive street by region

Yes, but ... how many of these properties are actually lived in? The fashion is for Russian oligarchs, Chinese politicians and South East Asian gamblers to buy up expensive properties in London solely as real estate investments that will rise in value for ever. The occupants move out, of course, and these expensive areas become deserted wastelands. Further down the chain ... property prices in Brighton start spiralling out of control and folk find that they have to move out of town if they are ever going to be able to afford somewhere to live.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Cah! How is Poole in the "South-West"? It's nearer to Dover than to Penzance!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Yes, but ... how many of these properties are actually lived in? The fashion is for Russian oligarchs, Chinese politicians and South East Asian gamblers to buy up expensive properties in London solely as real estate investments that will rise in value for ever. The occupants move out, of course, and these expensive areas become deserted wastelands. Further down the chain ... property prices in Brighton START spiralling out of control and folk find that they have to move out of town if they are ever going to be able to afford somewhere to live.

I think you have the wrong tense here, that horse has well and truly bolted....

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38406995

The most expensive street in the East of England is Storey's Way in Cambridge, with an average property price of £1.9m. It's a rat run for commuters trying to avoid the ring road. The world's gone mad; mad, I tell you.

I briefly lived on Storey's Way :thumbsup:

Traffic wasn't too bad, with speed bumps all the way down it. There's a section of it where most of the houses must be £3m+, absolutely massive and about as close as you can get to living in Cambridge town centre.

Biscuit Barrel

Jan 28, 2014
Southwick
Yes, but ... how many of these properties are actually lived in? The fashion is for Russian oligarchs, Chinese politicians and South East Asian gamblers to buy up expensive properties in London solely as real estate investments that will rise in value for ever. The occupants move out, of course, and these expensive areas become deserted wastelands. Further down the chain ... property prices in Brighton start spiralling out of control and folk find that they have to move out of town if they are ever going to be able to afford somewhere to live.

I think the spiraling costs have more to do with successive governments not building enough new homes and allowing the population to grow to much due to uncontrolled immigration. The spiraling costs are down to supply and demand.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I briefly lived on Storey's Way :thumbsup:

Traffic wasn't too bad, with speed bumps all the way down it. There's a section of it where most of the houses must be £3m+, absolutely massive and about as close as you can get to living in Cambridge town centre.

Chaucer Road. *nods*

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

It's not just in London. We have family friends who rebuilt their house in Cobham and put it on the market for £2.9m. One day, a Russian bloke with his wife rocked up at the front door, briefly looked around (ten mins) and offered to buy it there and then. IN CASH.

Friends called the police, who said these people weren't on any radar, then the bank who brought round an armoured car and various officials to have the transaction done there and then. :ohmy:

Anyway, those Russians didn't move in and now the house is just sitting there - no agent looking after it, the landscaped garden overgrowing with weeds. It's not a good situation at all.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Cah! How is Poole in the "South-West"? It's nearer to Dover than to Penzance!

Well, I spent quite a long time on Sunday trying to persuade some fellow journalists that Village People v Stains was not a South Coast derby but a West Country derby. Or at least a Wessex derby. It's all about the accents.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Those properties are so big, with so many tennis courts and swimming pools, that there's only about 10 houses on it!

My eldest daughter is doing a doctorate, and is living in one with four friends. She's a happy bunny.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
It's not just in London. We have family friends who rebuilt their house in Cobham and put it on the market for £2.9m. One day, a Russian bloke with his wife rocked up at the front door, briefly looked around (ten mins) and offered to buy it there and then. IN CASH.

Friends called the police, who said these people weren't on any radar, then the bank who brought round an armoured car and various officials to have the transaction done there and then. :ohmy:

Anyway, those Russians didn't move in and now the house is just sitting there - no agent looking after it, the landscaped garden overgrowing with weeds. It's not a good situation at all.

There is no way the bank would have come around there and then. Think they may have been pulling your leg.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is no way the bank would have come around there and then. Think they may have been pulling your leg.

Nope, they definitely sold their house in that way. The bank did come round and sent an armoured car to pick up the cash. But my Dad (who first told me about this) had suggested that it all happened pretty much immediately, and based on what you're saying I suspect he might have embellished the finer points a bit.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Apart from for your friends, who now have £2.9m in cash to play with. I'd argue that's a pretty good situation to be in

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-38406995

The most expensive street in the East of England is Storey's Way in Cambridge, with an average property price of £1.9m. It's a rat run for commuters trying to avoid the ring road. The world's gone mad; mad, I tell you.
It is a mad world, anywhere within M25 is up the r grabs at stupid prices, because people selling know that others will pay over the odds.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I think the spiraling costs have more to do with successive governments not building enough new homes and allowing the population to grow to much due to uncontrolled immigration. The spiraling costs are down to supply and demand.

Different areas have different costs. My inlaw's house has risen about £20K in value in 12 years, whereas our house in Newhaven has risen £100K in that time.
There are more immigrants in the north of England than in the SE, so your theory doesn't hold much water.

Shortage of housing can depend on many factors. Family breakups, for example. After the war, there was a massive housing shortage due to bombing, but families stayed together. Youngsters didn't leave home until they met someone ready to get married, so were able to save up for a deposit, and bought a home together. There's no way in the 60s, single people could afford to buy a house on their own.

Prices in the SE are being forced up by people investing in property as it gives better returns than pensions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here