Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What do you keep in your FRIDGE ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Plenty of OBVIOUS things of course. Beer. Paté. Tomatoes. A severed finger.

But what about the more BORDERLINE stuff ? I mean things like eggs. They're not refrigerated in the supermarket, and yet I have several specifically designed egg receptacles WHORING themselves inside my fridge door to receive their curved arse-shells. Should they be stored in there ? What about ketchup ? Salad cream ? Brown sauce. MAYONNAISE ? I'll be honest, those particular bedfellows lurk exclusively within my pantry, and never darken my fridge door. Why ? Because I don't like to excrete COLD condiments onto HOT food. It doesn't work on any level. I like my ketchup and mayo how I like my women - lukewarm, and largely indifferent to my clumsy advances.

So what belongs in a FRIDGE - and what doesn't ?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Depends which fridge. My beer fridge is full of what it suggests... beer!

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Yep definitely not tomatoes.

I'd be very worried about having mayo out of the fridge unless you have the crappy sort they have in cafs.

Re eggs, apparently the compartment in the door is the worst place to keep them due to temperature fluctuations. They need to be either deep inside or not at all.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
need to be either deep inside or not at all.

Where's El Pres when you need him?

Tomatoes: I do keep them in the fridge, but if I'm eating them raw, remove them 2 hours before consumption. Is the suggestion that keeping them cold irrevocably changes their biochemistry, permanently degrading flavour? Hmmm - that could explain why I'm invariably disappointed with how my tomatoes taste.

Eggs - yep, in the fridge - but on a shelf.

Jams, sauces, mayo - yep, in the fridge, but only after having been opened, and on the warmest, top shelf.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
This reminds me of my favourite Southern Counties Radio phone in: What do YOU Keep in your Fridge Door?

Obviously their phone in was a little more REFINED than your ALL OF THE FRIDGE thread [MENTION=70]Easy 10[/MENTION] but certainly there are similarities.

Owing to a chronic lack of space my fridge tends to act as a cupboard for all manner of foodstuffs that would be perfectly happy at room temperature. However I am RESOLUTE in my insistence that the EGGS, of which I'll always have at least a DOZEN on the premises at any one time, remain FIRMLY outside of the fridge and its door.

BUT I will use the fridge for storing eggs that I have hard boiled for later use, such as in a tuna nicoise salad or for an egg sarnie

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's (over) rammed at the moment. Rib of beef for Christmas Day, a large gammon ham, terrine ingredients (pheasant, partridge, duck, pork, chicken livers - this evenings work), cream (double, clotted), cheese etc etc etc. About half a million calories probably.
As for the usual stuff - loads half-empty jars of sauces and jams, salad dressings, chutneys and the like, garlic and ginger puree, salad (thanks for the tip re tomatoes, going to try that), eggs, white wine, cava and champagne, couple of emergency beers, butter, milk.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
IMG_0534.JPG

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Eggs yes, but not sure why - I have a perfectly good ceramic hen on the worktop, which is where they should go. Not allowed to eat tomatoes, so no dilemma there. Certainly not any sauces - I have no idea why people do that, they're vinegar based and not going to go off. I don't do marg/spreads only butter, so there's always a spare block there - the stuff in use is on the worktop.

One of my drugs needs to be kept in the fridge, so there's usually 2 or 3 boxes of that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here