Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cyclist vs train

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-38393823
Footage of a cyclist who came within inches of being hit by a train has been released as a railway safety warning.

The incident, which took place at Ducketts crossing near Pudsey, Leeds, saw a cyclist ignoring warning lights and narrowly avoiding a passing train.

Over the past year and a half, 18 similar incidents have been recorded at the same crossing.

Network Rail said ignoring railway safety procedures can have "life-changing consequences".

Blimey - that's close. All fine releasing this as a safety warning, but the fact there have been 19 incidents like this at the one crossing suggests to me that they should make it safer.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-38393823

Blimey - that's close. All fine releasing this as a safety warning, but the fact there have been 19 incidents like this at the one crossing suggests to me that they should make it safer.

Make it safer? He opens a closed gate and walks out without looking. He is a moron and no amount of safety videos and barriers will stop people being stupid.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Make it safer? He opens a closed gate and walks out without looking. He is a moron and no amount of safety videos and barriers will stop people being stupid.

Agreed - but he was obviously distracted by the first train and assumed it was clear, being half asleep probably. A moron yes - but does he deserve to die for that? I would suggest not. A simple audible spoken warning that a further train is coming might do it.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Agreed - but he was obviously distracted by the first train and assumed it was clear, being half asleep probably. A moron yes - but does he deserve to die for that? I would suggest not. A simple audible spoken warning that a further train is coming might do it.

He probably has headphones on... seriously if you cant be bothered to look as you cross a train track and need a audio warning.... I don't know what to say words fail me. Ah yes I remember now take some bloody responsibility for yourself and people around you.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
What a complete and utter ****wit!

There is a level crossing just up from my office and it constantly amazes me how many drivers put their foot down, or cyclists peddle like mad or people start running across if the lights start flashing. I even look both ways as if crossing a road when going across it even if the lights aren't going - you never know if it might have failed.

SpidersLegs

Feb 2, 2007
Here & there

There is a level crossing just up from my office and it constantly amazes me how many drivers put their foot down, or cyclists peddle like mad or people start running across if the lights start flashing. I even look both ways as if crossing a road when going across it even if the lights aren't going - you never know if it might have failed.
If it had failed the barriers would be down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

There's an odd level crossing near me.
Either side of the barriers the main road runs parallel to the track, say from 7 to 2 o'clock.
But there's another road that the crossing going from 11 to 4.

After the barriers are raised obviously the 7 to 2'ers are fine.
The 2 to 7's are also fine unless some nimrod wants to go 2 to 11, and not cross the track.

Yesterday morning the dozy bint in front of me crosses most of the track then stops, to allow one of those nimrods through.
I'm behind her, straddling both tracks.
This break in the natural order of the junction now gives all the 11's a chance to nip over jumping in front of the 2's cutting across dozy bint.

Leaving me screaming "why the f*** have you stopped on the train track".

(I can draw a diagram, if it helps :lol: )

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Either side of the barriers the main road runs parallel to the track, say from 7 to 2 o'clock.

The 2 to 7's are also fine unless some nimrod wants to go 2 to 11, and not cross the track.

Yesterday morning the dozy bint in front of me crosses most of the track then stops, to allow one of those nimrods through.
This break in the natural order of the junction now gives all the 11's a chance to nip over jumping in front of the 2's cutting across dozy bint.

West Worthing? If so, agree it's an absolute shocker - should be re-designed, some road traffic manoeuvres prohibited or something. Used to scare me rigid at times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
West Worthing? If so, agree it's an absolute shocker - should be re-designed, some road traffic manoeuvres prohibited or something. Used to scare me rigid at times.
No further along in EP, although the same principle but without the 'order' of traffic lights.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No further along in EP, although the same principle but without the 'order' of traffic lights.

Fair enough - long time since I lived in the area, and wouldn't have had much experience of that one anyway. Too many level crossings along that line to be honest, but you can't really blame Network Rail (or BR as it then was) - spent millions on the road and bridge at Goring, only for locals to win a planning case to keep the level crossing open anyway!

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

And the lesson there is not to proceed on to the tracks unless your exit is clear. Treat it like a box junction.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I have learned to be patient at these, but its easy to get frustrated due to the inordinately long time the barriers are down for. Thing is though, I guess you should err on the side of caution.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here