Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the Euro dead in the water?

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
Been reading about how much trouble the Euro is in after Brexit and now with the Italians looking like they are going to dump it, and the French discontent building towards a referendum, how much longer can Germany bankroll the whole thing?
The dip in the pound and our exit from the European trade set up has already seen a rise in manufacturing in the UK, so we are being seen as a better investment which is counter to all the scare mongering about the pound/UK economy we heard about in the build up to the Brexit vote. Looks like a domino effect is building.
IMHO the Euro is set to become confetti within the next two or three years.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'd worry more that the FTSE 100 is apparently MASSIVELY over valued at the moment...

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Well despite all the terrible Eurozone news the Pound is down to 1.18 from 1.20 on Friday. Although not sure how much can be inferred from that.

Now back in the high 1.17s and consistently falling for the last few days, having looked like it might be recovering again.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
How's it performing against the pound?

A general downward trend with a few ups and downs. It is the long term stability of the Euro in general that makes it a risk on the global market. The pound does not carry that same risk and has weathered the storm well. When looking for long term investment in Europe, the UK is a far more stable proposition.

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes
That is exactly the article I was referring to but I don't claim to have in depth knowledge, just an interest.

Same here. I take from this article that the figure is not an accurate indicator of risk/overvaluation and that other factors need to be taken into consideration. :thumbsup:

larus

Let's deal with facts about the Euro/Stl exch rate. It's currently within the 'normal' band of the last 8 odd years. It rose about 1.30 for a short period in 2014/15, but apart from than has been mainly in a band of 1.10 - 1.30.

So, please will the bed-wetters stop going on about "it's only going one way; crashing; heading for parity; etc.". That's emotional claptrap to back your own agenda as you're probably Remainers.

FFS, it nearly hit parity in 2008 then bounced.

Euro_Exch_RAte.png

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Whatever is going on, I know it was bloody expensive in Berlin last weekend. €18 for a G&T and a glass of prosecco :eek:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Let's deal with facts about the Euro/Stl exch rate. It's currently within the 'normal' band of the last 8 odd years. It rose about 1.30 for a short period in 2014/15, but apart from than has been mainly in a band of 1.10 - 1.30.

So, please will the bed-wetters stop going on about "it's only going one way; crashing; heading for parity; etc.". That's emotional claptrap to back your own agenda as you're probably Remainers.

View attachment 80427
Erm, I haven't seen any bedwetters on this thread. One person asks how the £/€ is doing in light of the recent Eurozone troubles and gets several factual and measured replies, one of which says that the pound is a safer long term bet than the Euro and you come on with this. I think the emotional claptrap is only coming from one person here...

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

View attachment 80427

Thats all very precise and all that but does not address my initial point. I'm not comparing pound to euro performance, i'm suggesting that the euro is in trouble, as in it may not exist in two or three years time, unlike the pound which is not.

larus

Erm, I haven't seen any bedwetters on this thread. One person asks how the £/€ is doing in light of the recent Eurozone troubles and gets several factual and measured replies, one of which says that the pound is a safer long term bet than the Euro and you come on with this. I think the emotional claptrap is only coming from one person here...

Yeah. I read one of the posts (when comparing to the pound) as being a dig about Brexit/Remain. We had all the crap about the pound would trash and look how bad it was etc. The facts don't back this. Maybe my tone was a little harsh I accept :)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here