Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Do you have a milkman?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We took on the services of a milkman at some point in 2016.

I've never met Colin (his name has not been changed to protect the innocent), but right now, on another sofa close to me, a Christmas card is being written and one of those new play-money £5 notes is about to be popped inside.

I reckon less than 1 in 10 (probably less than 1 in 20) NSCers have a milkman. Let's see...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I had a milkman when I lived in Camden in the late 90s early 00s but cancelled him as I couldn't keep up with the daily pint he delivered. Not bothered since.

D

Deleted member 2719

We took on the services of a milkman at some point in 2016.

I've never met Colin (his name has not been changed to protect the innocent), but right now, on another sofa close to me, a Christmas card is being written and one of those new play-money £5 notes is about to be popped inside.

I reckon less than 1 in 10 (probably less than 1 in 20) NSCers have a milkman. Let's see...

No....... I feel a bit guilty about it because I used to be one back in the 80's and it was a far tougher job than a postie.
Fingers welded to the inside of bottles on a frosty morning, trying to balance the books up when back at the dairy to find you were missing one pound fifty, was it when Mrs flirt was bending over the sofa to get her purse in her short nightie that i forgot to charge her?? I definitely gave her double cream and a full sack of spuds that day I remember leaving them at her rear entrance.

Tough job being a milko, Colin deserves a fiver and a diary of when your not about in 2017.
:hilton:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Afraid not. How much does 'Colin' charge for 4 pints?

I don't know. But it will be more than Tesco, clearly.

That's not the point though. We're as guilty as most in often looking to pay as little as we can for some stuff.

It felt like the right thing to do when a bloke (not Colin) knocked on the door.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Milk, just for visitors :moo:. Don't like it myself.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Is it milkman or milkperson, nowadays?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Got to be at least 10 years since Mrs Woody went SM so to speak. A good British tradition lost.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I don't know. But it will be more than Tesco, clearly.

That's not the point though. We're as guilty as most in often looking to pay as little as we can for some stuff.

It felt like the right thing to do when a bloke (not Colin) knocked on the door.

I used to have a milkman and was always happy to pay a bit more but the price of having it delivered escalated so quickly I stopped. Shame because I used to love picking that cold pint of milk from the doorstep each morning and having that creamy bit at the top of the bottle on my cornflakes. Special occasions meant a single bottle of gold top !

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
I used to have a milkman and was always happy to pay a bit more but the price of having it delivered escalated so quickly I stopped. Shame because I used to love picking that cold pint of milk from the doorstep each morning and having that creamy bit at the top of the bottle on my cornflakes. Special occasions meant a single bottle of gold top !

Unfortunately these days by the time u get to the milk it's when I return home from work, unless u have a house husband/wife[emoji853]

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I ...cancelled him as I couldn't keep up with the daily pint he delivered. Not bothered since.

Same. It's one more rolling ball of stress best eliminated from everyday life. Leave out note to order extra pint or to cancel order for absence from home. Wash bottles and leave out (incl. dry bottles if to contain rolled-up note). Contents warm in summer, frozen in winter, curdled in thunderstorms, Bottles pecked by birds or robbed by ne'er-do-wells all year round. How to pay (lay in wait for milko's call or leave money under mat?). Tip or use avoidance tactics at Xmas? And always - ALWAYS! - the never-ending need to Drink More Milk to finish off current delivery before next delivery arrives. In the wise words of esteemed New Romantic songsmiths of yesteryear Spandau Ballet: I Don't Need This Pressure On.

And... RELAX! :smokin:

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
You knew you'd had a good night out when you reached home and heard the familiar clanking of the milkfloat.

If you could negotiate a price for a pint of milk it usually went down a treat before hitting the pillow.

WildWood

Sep 6, 2011
Chichester
Yep!! The Mrs had a milkman start delivering earlier this year (not like that....) it's great to have a couple of pints & a bottle of orange juice on the doorstep! Doesn't stop me forgetting we get milk delivered & buying some on the way home though when I don't need too though.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here