Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Indiana Tandorri Restaurant, Church Road, Hove

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Quite often the above establishment seems to place an advert on the back page of the Argus. That's fine, I have no problem with that whatsoever, it's their prerogative after all.

But what does grate with me is the name. Indiana is a state in the USA, on the other side of the world from the Indian cuisine that they serve. There is absolutely no connection whatsoever between American indians, and those from Asia. Whatever were the owners thinking of? Unless of course the owner is Sitting Bull, in which case I apologise unreservedly.

Sorry, I just had a sudden urge to air my feelings. You can tell that this ten day break without my Albion fix is already beginning to get to me can't you?

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Quite often the above establishment seems to place an advert on the back page of the Argus. That's fine, I have no problem with that whatsoever, it's their prerogative after all.

But what does grate with me is the name. Indiana is a state in the USA, on the other side of the world from the Indian cuisine that they serve. There is absolutely no connection whatsoever between American indians, and those from Asia. Whatever were the owners thinking of? Unless of course the owner is Sitting Bull, in which case I apologise unreservedly.

Sorry, I just had a sudden urge to air my feelings. You can tell that this ten day break without my Albion fix is already beginning to get to me can't you?

I found it the best in hove when I lived there.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

They could be from Indiana originally. Probably not though.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Given that nearly all Indian restaurants in southern England are run by Bangladeshis you could make a similar argument about most!

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Given that nearly all Indian restaurants in southern England are run by Bangladeshis you could make a similar argument about most!

Yes indeed, and about 90% of them originated in the town of Sylhet. My, (very boring), point is though, that Bangladesh has a land border with India. Indiana is thousands of miles away.

Different country, different continent, different culture, different cuisine!

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Indiana means land of the Indians, seeing as the native Americans are no longer generally referred to as [red] Indians, I guess our friends from the sub continent are just reclaiming their name.

There's a pretty big company in Mumbai called Indiana http://www.indianagroup.com.

I guess Indians don't see it as a problem, after all, literally it is correct.

alfredmizen

Banned
Mar 11, 2015
Yes indeed, and about 90% of them originated in the town of Sylhet. My, (very boring), point is though, that Bangladesh has a land border with India. Indiana is thousands of miles away.

Different country, different continent, different culture, different cuisine!

Syhlet is a province not a town

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oh all right all right, I knew I shouldn't have started this thread! There is always someone who thinks they know better than you! lol

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Maybe a dodgy sign company did their fascia, it should read,
Indian a tandoori restaurant

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia

Season over already !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here