Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Club shop in the centre of Brighton

Soul Finger

May 12, 2004
It's about time we had a permanent shop in the centre of the city that bears our club's name.

It doesn't matter if it loses a few quid, it's about presence and familiarity.

And presents at this time of year...

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Please never apply for a job in the commercial side of the business.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
They've had a Christmas stall in Churchill Square this Christmas. Miss the Queen's Road shop though.

Don't like going to the Amex just for the shop. Nasty walk to and from car park when it is wet and windy. Should have kept Bridge CP open for shoppers who want to be in and out quickly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's about time we had a permanent shop in the centre of the city that bears our club's name.

Well, there's a small temporary stand inside Churchill Square at the moment, but I agree with your point. Its a shame we don't have a presence in the city centre for tickets, tat and shirts etc. I certainly can't be arsed to yomp all the way up to the Amex for Albion bits and bobs, so unless I'm there for a game, I don't bother with any of those little "impulse" purchases I used to if I was having a quick mince around the shop in Queens Road.

Its all about the bottom line though I suppose, so if we're already £26m down on last season, then committing to losing more money on a shop in town is just not an option.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

There's currently a half-arsed attempt at a pop-up stall in Churchill Square. Pretty ridiculous IMHO that there's not a permanent shop in that high-turnover selling space, especially with so many vacant units. Even in the Withdean era we had a sort-of proper city centre shop. Selling stuff physically only at the Amex means you're only selling to the the converted, with increasingly limited returns obviously. Go to Munich or Prague, say, and you'll find proper club shops slap bang in the middle of town doing a roaring trade. Why not here? ???

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Please never apply for a job in the commercial side of the business.

Well the cub are basically already doing it with a stall in Churchill Square and judging by the queues and bustle around it, must be absolutely raking it in.

Also, hello there! If my reckoning is correct, we appear to still have both Lewis Dunk and Dale Stephens playing for us. Could you explain please? I was under the assumption that they had already been sold according to your very reliable source.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's currently a half-arsed attempt at a pop-up stall in Churchill Square. Pretty ridiculous IMHO that there's not a permanent shop in that high-turnover selling space, especially with so many vacant units. Even in the Withdean era we had a sort-of proper city centre shop. Selling stuff physically only at the Amex means you're only selling to the the converted, with increasingly limited returns obviously. Go to Munich or Prague, say, and you'll find proper club shops slap bang in the middle of town doing a roaring trade. Why not here? ???

Phenomenal rent and rates which would lose money like water.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Phenomenal rent and rates which would lose money like water.

Why? seems to me that Churchill Square are in jeopardy of driving everybody in there out of the market. I'm sure PB would be able to make a deal that allowed everybody passing through Churchill Square the opportunity to buy a bit of Albion-related tat without having to physically present themselves at the Amex or go online.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Makes perfect sense to have short term pop ups in town during peak periods.

That old Queens Road shop was not a perennial hive of activity.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

My sentiments exactly! Especially as you say, there are many vacant units, I'm sure the club could get a good deal.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Because the rates and overheads in this city are ridiculous. That's why you've got so many empty units right now in what really are prime footfall areas.

I can't BELIEVE the building that had the old Sock Shop on the corner of Churchill Square is long-term derelict (or certainly was the last time I looked). You've got herds of people milling about right there, its extraordinary that no business could make a go of it in that location. And yet...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Why? seems to me that Churchill Square are in jeopardy of driving everybody in there out of the market. I'm sure PB would be able to make a deal that allowed everybody passing through Churchill Square the opportunity to buy a bit of Albion-related tat without having to physically present themselves at the Amex or go online.

Any 'spare cash' is going on paying for extra coaches and Park & Rides at the moment. It's cost the club half a million quid.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here