Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shelvey banned for five games

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Not that I want to defend Shelvey here but have I got this right? A player suggests something inappropriate has been said to him, Shelvey denies saying it. He gets a 5 game ban? Is this how it works now that someone can claim you did something and you are guilty till proven innocent?

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
4 league games and the FA Cup 3rd round game. Could be reduced on appeal.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Not that I want to defend Shelvey here but have I got this right? A player suggests something inappropriate has been said to him, Shelvey denies saying it. He gets a 5 game ban? Is this how it works now that someone can claim you did something and you are guilty till proven innocent?

You touched my dog

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011

All except the last bit. You're innocent until proven guilty which is what happened to Shelvey today.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
how many players NUFC losing for the African Nations ?

A couple. Atsu, Tiote (injured or doesn't get in?), Mbemba, Diame - this plus Shelvey out could mean a couple of draws rather than wins. Never want to wish injury on a player but if Gayle fancies a month or two off for whatever reason he's welcome to it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Villa lose most of their impressive strikeforce - Kodjia, Ayew and Adomah all gone.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

A player suggests something inappropriate has been said to a teammate by Shelvey, Shelvey denies it and requests a personal hearing, continues to play first team games until his hearing, then at the hearing presents his side of the story, with witness to support, the other guy gives his side of the story, including witnesses, and then they decide to give him the minimum ban for the offence that they have decided was committed.
Innocent until decided guilty at hearing.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
A player suggests something inappropriate has been said to a teammate by Shelvey, Shelvey denies it and requests a personal hearing, continues to play first team games until his hearing, then at the hearing presents his side of the story, with witness to support, the other guy gives his side of the story, including witnesses, and then they decide to give him the minimum ban for the offence that they have decided was committed.
Innocent until decided guilty at hearing.

So, what if it is one persons word against another, for example his team mates defend him and say he did not say it, the opposing team says he did. How is it decided that he is punished?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

They used witness statements as well I believe.

Edit - without witnesses (or other supporting evidence) I suppose it would be unable to be proved and they couldn't penalise the accused player. Rightly so I reckon.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here