Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jaywick -Christmas on Benefits

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone else catch this last night on Channel 5 ? “The most deprived town in England”, and to be fair, it does actually make Croydon look like Marbella. Seemingly populated almost exclusively with alcoholics, drug addicts and ex-cons, most of whom have a varyingly random number of teeth, and an impressive array of piercings and facial tattoo’s. They’ve actually forged a commendable community spirit amongst themselves, and it was particularly heartening to see one of them taking a Christmas dinner round to one of his neighbours, a poor old alchy fella who was all alone and zonked out on his sofa.

It was impossible not to feel for new resident Lynn, an alcoholic mentalist who was recently out of prison after doing time for assaulting someone with a hammer. She went to all the trouble of cooking a Christmas dinner for some of her new neighbours – who then didn’t bother turning up. Perhaps not surprising, but it was genuinely sad seeing her dishing up a dinner just for herself, alone at 9pm (apart from Lilly the dog and, I suppose, the camera crew), having finally given up on anyone coming round. “Christmas is just a pile of shit. Nobodies happy at Christmas”.

Highlight though had to be the haphazard firework display put on behind one of the shacks, when a drunken elderly woman is nearly hit by an errant rocket going off. “C***, you just got me, you mothers MINGE” :lolol:

Well worth a look on C5 catchup. I recommend it.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Anyone else catch this last night on Channel 5 ? “The most deprived town in England”, and to be fair, it does actually make Croydon look like Marbella. Seemingly populated almost exclusively with alcoholics, drug addicts and ex-cons, most of whom have a varyingly random number of teeth, and an impressive array of piercings and facial tattoo’s. They’ve actually forged a commendable community spirit amongst themselves, and it was particularly heartening to see one of them taking a Christmas dinner round to one of his neighbours, a poor old alchy fella who was all alone and zonked out on his sofa.

It was impossible not to feel for new resident Lynn, an alcoholic mentalist who was recently out of prison after doing time for assaulting someone with a hammer. She went to all the trouble of cooking a Christmas dinner for some of her new neighbours – who then didn’t bother turning up. Perhaps not surprising, but it was genuinely sad seeing her dishing up a dinner just for herself, alone at 9pm (apart from Lilly the dog and, I suppose, the camera crew), having finally given up on anyone coming round. “Christmas is just a pile of shit. Nobodies happy at Christmas”.

Highlight though had to be the haphazard firework display put on behind one of the shacks, when a drunken elderly woman is nearly hit by an errant rocket going off. “C***, you just got me, you mothers MINGE” :lolol:

Bloody hell, your right it does make Croydon look like Marbella :cool:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
article-2303489-19103800000005DC-141_964x637.jpg

It does look a bit Croydony though.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Thanks for the heads up , will save for Christmas day :thumbsup:

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Others in the family watched this (last week I think) and the other programmes about Jaywick. I'm a bit wary of these sorts of programmes, not sure I want a media encouraging people to focus on the indiscretions of those they believe are worse off than themselves rather than those better off.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Doubtless the erosion of the tourist industry took its toll. There was a Butlins there a number of years back. It's a bit like the former mining communities in the north that have become 'black spots'. Once the erosion of self worth kicks in it's hard to get it back. And it has a knock on effect. If any of us were from there we may have found ourselves in the same situation. No inclination to watch another freak show. I'll hang on for public executions to return.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Others in the family watched this (last week I think) and the other programmes about Jaywick. I'm a bit wary of these sorts of programmes, not sure I want a media encouraging people to focus on the indiscretions of those they believe are worse off than themselves rather than those better off.
If you live in Jaywick you are worse off than most. It's become a dumping G ground for the flotsam of Essex. Those houses were originally holiday chalets... barely maintained as habitable in this so called enlightened society we live in.

Sure, many of those people are in self inflicted circumstances.. but surely someone needs to sweep it clean, bulldoze it and start again.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
I went on holiday to Jaywick as a kid years ago. Not far from Clacton on Sea.

I remember a top amusement arcade........

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Some interesting perspectives of Jaywick then and now:

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk
I did watch it and almost always end up feeling sorry for a a lot of the folk living like that, so easy to fall into homelessness and despair. There but for the grace of God, an all that..

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
So Lynn has cooked Christmas dinner and none of the expected guests turn up. So she serves some for herself and makes a little dish of the turkey etc for her mutt, puts it into the dogs cage, the dog sniffs it turns her nose up and leaves it - priceless.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I'm going to leave it to after a full slap up Christmas meal with all the trimmings, put on the Queen's speech, think for a microsecond about those less lucky then me and THEN watch this on catch up.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
So Lynn has cooked Christmas dinner and none of the expected guests turn up. So she serves some for herself and makes a little dish of the turkey etc for her mutt, puts it into the dogs cage, the dog sniffs it turns her nose up and leaves it - priceless.

To be fair, I'm not sure I'd be overly keen on spending Christmas day with an alcoholic ex-con with mental problems, who's just been released from prison after attacking somebody with a hammer. But it was sad.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Is this a documentary? I found your post funny until the penny dropped that it's real, not sure I could watch it as entertainment, actually not sure I could watch it at all

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here