Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bladerunner 2049 teaser trailer.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Doesn't show too much but it seems to have the feel of the original. I'm looking forward to it.

Is Harrison Ford going to come back as an old version of EVERY character he played in the 1980s?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Nervous about it, because the original is my favourite film of all time. Looks decent enough so far.

Ford being in this film quashes the "Deckard is a replicant" storyline dead then...?

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Blade Runner 2

You better be good! Not much to go on but gives you a sense of the tone and visuals.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Nervous about it, because the original is my favourite film of all time. Looks decent enough so far.

Ford being in this film quashes the "Deckard is a replicant" storyline dead then...?

Like you, the original is probably my favourite film, so I'm similarly nervous - slightly disappointed it seems to have stopped raining.

Scott is on record as saying that Deckard is a replicant, so, given he's the exec producer and given the stand-off between Ford and Scott about Deckard's origins, it'll be interesting to see whether that part of the storyline will be explored, and, if so, how explicitly.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Gosling is usually good value. It looks like they have may have thankfully gone age appropriate with Ford. In his more recent roles as his previous characters such as Indy and Solo they just seem to have squeezed him back into his old costume and hope we all ignore he is really old, having him try and run and jump and be an action star. At least in this one he looks like they have acknowledged decades have passed.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Like you, the original is probably my favourite film, so I'm similarly nervous - slightly disappointed it seems to have stopped raining.

Scott is on record as saying that Deckard is a replicant, so, given he's the exec producer and given the stand-off between Ford and Scott about Deckard's origins, it'll be interesting to see whether that part of the storyline will be explored, and, if so, how explicitly.

Replicants only live for 4 years...unless we're about to learn a lot more about the world of Blade Runner...

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Replicants only live for 4 years...unless we're about to learn a lot more about the world of Blade Runner...

Well now. Nexus-6 have a pre-defined lifespan of 4 years, sure. You also kill them if you try to extend it by any means. What if Deckard was a -7 or even a -8 (both mentioned ages ago by Scott as in his vision of the universe) though? Sammon postulates -7 would have a normal human lifespan (but is silent on -8). Going against this theory, Scott has stated that Deckard is a -6. I think there's enough wriggle room for Deckard to still (probably ambiguously) be a replicant (perhaps an experimental -7?). Ford has never been happy with the thought that Deckard was a replicant though, so it might possibly be that a condition of him appearing in the film is that it's made clear that Deckard is not a replicant - quite how Scott would react to that is open to doubt.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Well now. Nexus-6 have a pre-defined lifespan of 4 years, sure. You also kill them if you try to extend it by any means. What if Deckard was a -7 or even a -8 (both mentioned ages ago by Scott as in his vision of the universe) though? Sammon postulates -7 would have a normal human lifespan (but is silent on -8). Going against this theory, Scott has stated that Deckard is a -6. I think there's enough wriggle room for Deckard to still (probably ambiguously) be a replicant (perhaps an experimental -7?). Ford has never been happy with the thought that Deckard was a replicant though, so it might possibly be that a condition of him appearing in the film is that it's made clear that Deckard is not a replicant - quite how Scott would react to that is open to doubt.

Interesting. I don't like the fact Scott gave a definitive answer either way - so much of the beauty and intrigue of the film is leaving that question open. I prefer the answer to be "probably not", re: his "replicancy".

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Interesting. I don't like the fact Scott gave a definitive answer either way - so much of the beauty and intrigue of the film is leaving that question open. I prefer the answer to be "probably not", re: his "replicancy".

I don't like that Scott gave a definitive answer either - the ambiguity adds so much, as you say. Though I prefer the answer to be "probably is", rather than "probably isn't" (based on the Deckard unicorn dream, unicorn in JF Sebastian's apartment and unicorn origami sequence)!

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
That's certainly wet my appetite for more excellent Sci Fi this year than you can shake a stick at.

I have a mate who is both an absolute Sci Fi and Movie buff/fan boy who has NEVER watched Bladerunner. He is a prolific devourer of books and film and has a pile of things to get through which is rarely below 100. Bladerunner was on the list sometime ago but he postulates that now so much time has past and so much written about it being excellent and genre defining that it can never live up to the hype so he prefers not to watch it! Utter madness.

Am hoping the sequel may tempt him to watch the original and then he can pull it and the sequel to pieces for having inconsistencies with the book etc. (Yes he's one of those...)

Back OT I am a little scared about where this goes but am pleased Ridley has relinquished the directorship reigns to someone younger and in vogue so they might inject new wisdom and ideas. I just hope it stays true to the neo-noir roots of the original.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here