Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FIFA Poppy Fine

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
So FIFA is fining the home nations for the poppy displays and all that went with it.

Fifa disciplinary committee chairman Claudio Sulser said he "fully respected" the commemorations but stressed the rules "need to be applied to all member associations".

"The display, among others, of any political or religious symbol is strictly prohibited," he added.

"In the stadium and on the pitch, there is only room for sport, nothing else."

Maybe he has a point with the last sentence. After all we go to football grounds to watch football. The way it is going we seem to have a) black armbands, or b) a minute's silence, or c) applause x minutes into the game, or d) pre-match commemorations of some event or other at an increasing number of games. Is a football game the place for such things? I think not and I'd much prefer there to be a ban on all club sanctioned commemorations so that we could just get on with the game.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009
So FIFA is fining the home nations for the poppy displays and all that went with it.

Fifa disciplinary committee chairman Claudio Sulser said he "fully respected" the commemorations but stressed the rules "need to be applied to all member associations".

"The display, among others, of any political or religious symbol is strictly prohibited," he added.

Maybe he has a point with the last sentence. After all we go to football grounds to watch football. The way it is going we seem to have a) black armbands, or b) a minute's silence, or c) applause x minutes into the game, or d) pre-match commemorations of some event or other at an increasing number of games. Is a football game the place for such things? I think not and I'd much prefer there to be a ban on all club sanctioned commemorations so that we could just get on with the game.

If there is genuinely only room for sport then I wouldn't expect to see this kind of thing........

http://latincorrespondent.com/2014/...ism-campaign-failed-black-players-brazilians/

FIFA need to make their mind up.

Oct 25, 2003
I am not saying in every case but I think that in many cases it is classed as racist chanting when more a dsiplay of patriotism to their own country. Unfortunately everything is judged black or white.

can you provide examples of these 'many cases' of countries being punished for racism when it was actually patriotism?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Ffs it's a game of football for Christ's sake, there should be nothing wrong with wearing armbands ect ect, I for one am all for minutes applause or silence for fans ect, people need to get off their high horses, it's ONE minute of your life showing a bit of respect .

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

VAL1850

Nov 22, 2008
Beachy Head & WSU
Oh, wouldn't it be nice to hear that FIFA donated the funds to the British Legion or similsimular rather than spunking the money to comps in Russia or Qator

Oct 25, 2003
It's ludicrous and totally unfair and can't really see their reasoning at all. I'm glad the home nation FA's actually stood up to them and went for it anyway- but these two comments from FIFA stand out to me

Loads of countries display religious symbols on their shirts- often in the form of the countries badge...Israel, Turkey, Portugal and in fact, England being four examples

Do me a favour- how is surrounding the pitch with billboards (mostly for companies totally unrelated to sport and often for really, really unethical companies) showing that there is 'only room for sport' inside the stadium?!

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
35K you say?

Sepp-Blatter-cash-740x385.jpg

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's ludicrous and totally unfair and can't really see their reasoning at all. I'm glad the home nation FA's actually stood up to them and went for it anyway- but these two comments from FIFA stand out to me

Loads of countries display religious symbols on their shirts- often in the form of the countries badge...Israel, Turkey, Portugal and in fact, England being four examples

Do me a favour- how is surrounding the pitch with billboards (mostly for companies totally unrelated to sport and often for really, really unethical companies) showing that there is 'only room for sport' inside the stadium?!
This with jingle bells on.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here