Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Radio Turn Offs

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I listen to the radio far far more than I watch TV and after all the radio chat on NSC today, (Alan Green, Jim White, etc) I wondered whether there might be enough candidates to run a Radio presenter / commentator /pundit Biggest Turn Off World Cup ?

Who is it that you just have to switch off before he/she says a word? Who is it that if they appear on another show you resent interfering with your day?

Now I could come up with a dozen easily, on Five Live, LBC, Radio 4, Talksport etc, but if you pinned me down and insisted on just one nomination, there is no doubt who it would be. I cannot bear to listen to him for even the one minute pre-show handover at 3.59pm

please please fork off...... ADRIAN DURHAM

:rant: Who gets on your nerves? :rant:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Adverts, full stop.

Will not listen to any commercial radio, because the adverts utterly destroy my brain. TalkSport is the very worst of the worst for them.

Apart from Radio Sussex for the duration of an Albion away game, my radio is only ever set to Radio 6 or Radio 5 / 5extra

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm surprised so many persist with radio in the age of the podcast.

Imagine radio, without the ads/skippable ads, edited to include just the best bits, and you listen at the point that suits you, pausing whenever required.

That said I bloody LOVE PAUL MILLER

Whoislloydy

May 2, 2016
Vancouver, British Columbia
Adverts, full stop.

Will not listen to any commercial radio, because the adverts utterly destroy my brain. TalkSport is the very worst of the worst for them.

Apart from Radio Sussex for the duration of an Albion away game, my radio is only ever set to Radio 6 or Radio 5 / 5extra

Especially when they have to speak the sponsor, i can't remember the wording but when they talk about rugby league they have to say some sponsor slogan about Dacia.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Imagine radio, without the ads/skippable ads, edited to include just the best bits, and you listen at the point that suits you, pausing whenever required.

I don't on the whole want a (lot of) CHAT, though. 99% of my radio listening is whilst driving, often long distances. I don't want distraction, just decent music. I've some 100+ albums loaded onto the car system, so could just listen to my own stuff, but you want some variety, and to be introduced to some new stuff. Radio 6 is SO good, on both counts. What is the BBC license fee these days? 30p a day or something? I'd pay that for Radio 6 alone.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't on the whole want a (lot of) CHAT, though. 99% of my radio listening is whilst driving, often long distances. I don't want distraction, just decent music. I've some 100+ albums loaded onto the car system, so could just listen to my own stuff, but you want some variety, and to be introduced to some new stuff. Radio 6 is SO good, on both counts. What is the BBC license fee these days? 30p a day or something? I'd pay that for Radio 6 alone.

Radio 6 is a good shout.

Also, there is an app called Radio Alan, that will play your music, and intersperse it with Alan chat, along with sidekick Simon. Works really well.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Radio 6 is a good shout.

Also, there is an app called Radio Alan, that will play your music, and intersperse it with Alan chat, along with sidekick Simon. Works really well.

Ha. Might have to look into that.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Talk Sport. Rarely listen unless they have the only coverage of a game. "Penalty Kick let's cross to Bet365 for the odds on him scoring", they seem to shove a betting site down your throat at any opportunity.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I listen to the radio far far more than I watch TV and after all the radio chat on NSC today, (Alan Green, Jim White, etc) I wondered whether there might be enough candidates to run a Radio presenter / commentator /pundit Biggest Turn Off World Cup ?

Who is it that you just have to switch off before he/she says a word? Who is it that if they appear on another show you resent interfering with your day?

Now I could come up with a dozen easily, on Five Live, LBC, Radio 4, Talksport etc, but if you pinned me down and insisted on just one nomination, there is no doubt who it would be. I cannot bear to listen to him for even the one minute pre-show handover at 3.59pm

please please fork off...... ADRIAN DURHAM

:rant: Who gets on your nerves? :rant:

iggy pop ... his De-TROIT drool makes me switch off

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
The Public.

When listening to the radio I expect to be listening to professionals who know what they are doing. When they let some normo on they inevitably seem be either really dull or think that they have missed their calling as a DJ and are god gift to the airwaves. Who vets these people is a mystery but they keep putting them through.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne

That said I bloody LOVE PAUL MILLER

"Do you ? Awww, that's so nice. He's a lovely man. Really lovely. Do you like him ? Yes I hear you say, just like Gordon in Romsey, do you remember him ? Lovely man. Anyway back to the subject in hand. Now then, radio presenters you can't stand ? What about Paul Miller ? Lovely man. Have you done your Christmas shopping my love ? Have you ? Already ? Oooh your a game one. Isn't she a game one."
He's so bad, he's good.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Panel show comedies on radio 4 that star David Mitchell and/or Jeremy Hardy. There's only so much smugness that any human can reasonably tolerate without wanting to set fire to their own ears.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here