Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Are you Team Alan Green or Team Danny Mills?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04lv7yk

If Oscar has trebled his pay packet with a move to China, is that a joke decision by the player or a perfectly understandable one?

It's another one of those strange situations, which appears quite peculiar to sport in general and football in particular, whereby people think it wrong for a player to play for money!

It is after all a job - one that many of them are very good at...

Would people make the same noises if a head of business enterprise went to work in China? I don't think so.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If I was offered the chance to be paid three times as much money as I currently am for doing the same job at a lower level, I'd probably take it as well.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Its perfectly understandable. It might be different if he was playing for the best team in Brazil if the Brazilian league was considered world-class, but once you've left your home country, who really cares what league you're in, you've already left home for the money. Green is basically saying that coming to England for the money is fine, but going to China for the money is not.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
its both isnt it? its understandble they take the money, but if they are interested in "career" its a daft move they will probably regret. Oscar is probably good enough and professional enough to still feature for Brazil, but alot of players wont make the cut if they arent being pushed week in week out. on other hand, Oscar has already made more than enough money to see himself and extended family into retirement, just a matter of lifestyle how you choose to spend many millions.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The only point being made by Green is presumably that Oscar should be playing at a good quality league, he can retire to China on a still enormous salary after he's done it all in the big leagues.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
My only thought is how can the club afford to pay those wages... Are they getting gates of 250 k?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
My only thought is how can the club afford to pay those wages... Are they getting gates of 250 k?

Personally, I'd question the business model behind the Chinese Super League. They can't drop this sort of money on world class players forever. At some point, they need to develop their own good quality players, otherwise that league is just doomed.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
The only point being made by Green is presumably that Oscar should be playing at a good quality league, he can retire to China on a still enormous salary after he's done it all in the big leagues.

which is obviously an insular, arrogant self-centered point of view by Green. The English premier league only became the best quality league once the clubs could afford en masse to pay higher wages than in Italy, Spain, France, Holland or Germany.

This may well spark a change whereby the Chinese league becomes the best quality league in the world. And for Brazilians, they don't care either way which foreign league is considered the best. With the UEFA Financial Fair Play laws, we will inevitably see the next boom in player contracts outside of Europe.

FIVESTEPS

Nov 3, 2014
Oscars only 25,he can pocket £41,600,000 and come back and still be at his peak.I can see the appeal.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
which is obviously an insular, arrogant self-centered point of view by Green. The English premier league only became the best quality league once the clubs could afford en masse to pay higher wages than in Italy, Spain, France, Holland or Germany.

This may well spark a change whereby the Chinese league becomes the best quality league in the world. And for Brazilians, they don't care either way which foreign league is considered the best. With the UEFA Financial Fair Play laws, we will inevitably see the next boom in player contracts outside of Europe.

But the rump of the Chinese league league will be made up of Chinese players - and they are gash. The rump of English players may not be world beaters but the baseline is far better than in China.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
But the rump of the Chinese league league will be made up of Chinese players - and they are gash. The rump of English players may not be world beaters but the baseline is far better than in China.

Yeah, but then again think how many premier league teams have been put out wthout a single British player. How many English players adorn the premier league today? Even Brighton's best team in the championship has 5 or 6 non-British. Sure, I highly doubt that China will develop the best league in the world. But its not impossible. Asian TV money could be massive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If I was offered three times my current salary for easier work and an ex-pat lifestyle I'd be dusting off my old Mandarin books and applying for a visa faster than you could stir fry an Alsation.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
When I had the pleasure? of sharing a train journey back to Manchester with Robbie Savage from London, he was very affable, apart from when the subject turned to Alan Green, whom he described as a 'Bitter, money obsessed clueless **** who knows nothing about football".

As this echoes my view of Green, who has a very privileged job but whines incessantly, I'm with #TeamMills.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
I think it's completely up to the player and can understand his reasons - don't have a problem with the move at all. And not just because I think that Green is the worst thing on BBC radio that isn't Nicky Campbell.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here