Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rabbi Lionel Blue dies aged 86

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
One of mine too. Weirdly, I was only thinking about him this morning on my drive into work, wondering if he was still alive. Such a quiet, calm and wise demeanour - everything you'd hope for in a religious leader. RIP.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Let me join in the agreement with the mods on this one. As an atheist, Thought for the Day irritates me, but Lionel Blue was just the most joyous, insightful voice within this slot, and so playful with it. RIP

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
RIP Lion

"To my surprise, my 70s are nicer than my 60s and my 60s than my 50s, and I wouldn't wish my teens and 20s on my enemies."

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A man of great wisdom, humility, understanding and compassion - his passing is a great loss, a voice of sanity amid the chaos.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
A truly lovely man who I was fortunate enough to meet on a couple of occasions.
What a horrible year this has been.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Always a delight John Humpries was just reminiscing and repeated one of his jokes which nearly always accompanied thought for the day

An old Jewish lady goes into the local news paper office and asks for a notice to be placed in the births and deaths column to read "JP Burnsttine dead" taken back at the brevity of the notice and assuming lack of funds the news paper man says you can have six words for the price of three, oh said the old lady in that case "JP Burnsttine dead VW for sale"

God bless Lionel RIP

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
One of mine too. Weirdly, I was only thinking about him this morning on my drive into work, wondering if he was still alive. Such a quiet, calm and wise demeanour - everything you'd hope for in a religious leader. RIP.

You'd think a god was talking to you. But nobody was.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shame. I really liked him in Absolute Beginners and he was very funny in that Extras Xmas special.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
You worked at the BBC presumably?

And yes it has been a truly horrible year...

Not the Beeb. He came to Birmingham and spoke to groups of learning-disabled students about coping with discrimination.
He talked with compassion for others and real wit and found time to speak personally to everyone who wished to talk to him afterwards.
Really one of life's good guys

When we asked him to come back he moved his diary around to accommodate us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here