Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Odeon - Money Grabers

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Having got used to the no off peak pricing during school holidays, they have now come up with a new wheeze.

Blockbuster pricing, where they add £2 to the cost of a ticket (£4 to a family ticket) to any film they determine is a blockbuster. This means currently this charge is added to all screenings of Rogue One.

Which means that an off peak adult ticket rather than £8 which would be £9.75 during school holidays is now £11.75.

At least there are no booking fees, but this just seems to be the same thing albeit in a different name.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Market Hall Cinema, Brynmawr, £14 for a family (two adults/two or three children).
Maxime Cinema, Blackwood, £2.50 per person.

I appreciate that the petrol from Brighton might bump your costs up a little.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Having got used to the no off peak pricing during school holidays, they have now come up with a new wheeze.

Blockbuster pricing, where they add £2 to the cost of a ticket (£4 to a family ticket) to any film they determine is a blockbuster. This means currently this charge is added to all screenings of Rogue One.

Which means that an off peak adult ticket rather than £8 which would be £9.75 during school holidays is now £11.75.

At least there are no booking fees, but this just seems to be the same thing albeit in a different name.
My son used to work in a cinema the amount of money they make is unbelievable when a blockbuster is viewing regularly had £2m in the safe.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I'd heard that Odeon were doing this. Really don't agree with it... surely the blockbusters subsidise the films which aren't so well attended. I've got an Unlimited card from Cineworld (going back to the Virgin/UGC days, when it was first introduced) and am sure there would be many angry people if they tried to charge an uplift for "good" films. Isn't there a card for Odeon now? Do they lump an extra on for card holders?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Market Hall Cinema, Brynmawr, £14 for a family (two adults/two or three children).
Maxime Cinema, Blackwood, £2.50 per person.

I appreciate that the petrol from Brighton might bump your costs up a little.

:thumbsup:
We're going to watch Rogue tomorrow at the Bognor Fleapit.
£2.50 each, no concessions - .money grabbers.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
We're going to watch Rogue tomorrow at the Bognor Fleapit.
£2.50 each, no concessions - .money grabbers.

Just goes to show that the big cinemas rip you off. If independents can still make a profit on £2.50 tickets, so could Odeon/Vue/etc

At Brynmawr there is an Asda across the road, but no one sneaks in food, because it's the same price in the cinema. We (my family) go to the cinema a lot, it's a cheap night out!

We just wouldn't go at £11.75 a ticket.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just goes to show that the big cinemas rip you off. If independents can still make a profit on £2.50 tickets, so could Odeon/Vue/etc

At Brynmawr there is an Asda across the road, but no one sneaks in food, because it's the same price in the cinema. We (my family) go to the cinema a lot, it's a cheap night out!
I make a point of always buying 'code compliant' snacks from Bognor solely because I haven't been stiffed on the ticket.
Cineworld can do one.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda

We just wouldn't go at £11.75 a ticket.

There is an argument that the bigger cinemas have more staff, and in a place like Brighton city centre prime real estate which will cost. That said it is expensive to go to the cinema

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Supply and demand.
They are a company who's prime aim is to make money for the shareholders.

As with everything, it's all Maggies fault.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean
Duke of Yorks is cheaper and showing it.

Peak
Tue-Fri from 5pm; all day Sat & Sun

Adult £11.00
Retired £10.00
Student £10.00
Child £6.50
Family £30.00

Matinees (Tue-Fri to 5pm) & Late-night Shows

Adult £10.00
Retired £9.00
Student £9.00
Child £6.50
Family £28.00

All day Monday
Except Bank Holidays

Adult £7.00
Retired £7.00
Student £7.00
Child £5.00
Family £19.00

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My son used to work in a cinema the amount of money they make is unbelievable when a blockbuster is viewing regularly had £2m in the safe.

Would seem a bit high! Say an average price of £10 that would mean 200,000 customers who were all paying cash. Suspect their insurers would have a word or two to say about that!!!

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Downloaded it yesterday.

Puzzles me why people need to eat over priced slurpy, crunchy and noisey shit while watching a film?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Downloaded it yesterday.

Puzzles me why people need to eat over priced slurpy, crunchy and noisey shit while watching a film?

A grainy SD copy v the marvel of watching it on a huge screen fully immersed with good sound? You are however correct about the need to eat and drink

Ozymandias86

Jun 24, 2011
Kanazawa
Thirteen pounds and seventy five pence at Tunbridge Wells Odeon!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I almost freaked when I went to buy a ticket for a screening of Rogue One on a Friday evening at the Guildford Odeon only to be quoted £15. 2D too.

Solution. Woking cinema. Thursday afternoon. £7.50 tops.

Very good it was too.

Makes the Odeon Unlimited seem a better deal though. In some other life perhaps. One where I am made of money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here