Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Printer advice

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
I'm going to be working from home a lot more in 2017, and need to get a decent printer. Since I know nothing, I was hoping NSC could advise. Is it worth going for a laser, or are there decent non-laser printers out there? The only printers I've had at home have been diabolical: the cartridges have run out of ink ludicrously quickly, and they've stopped working properly after relatively little use. Any recommendations welcome, thanks.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
lasers are much, much better than inkjet for basic balck printing, providing hundreds of clear pages without any blockage hassles. look at comparison sites for best cost per page, in my experience its worth getting a slightly more expensive unit that have larger, longer lasting cartridges. inkjet might be ok cost/quality for colour.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As I understand it, laser printers are expensive and only worth the investment if you plan to print thousands of copies of black and white at home on a regular basis. Not sure if anything's changed since I last looked.

With inkjet printers it's important to make sure you get one where you can change each colour cartridge individually, rather than a block, as you won't waste ink that way.

We've had two Canons in the past 10 years and we've been really happy with them. Although I preferred the first model we had to this current one (MG5450). Oh, and I don't buy official Canon inks as they cost a fortune. Generic ones in a big multi pack work out at about just over a quid a pop and are more than adequate for what we need.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
lasers are much, much better than inkjet for basic balck printing, providing hundreds of clear pages without any blockage hassles. look at comparison sites for best cost per page, in my experience its worth getting a slightly more expensive unit that have larger, longer lasting cartridges. inkjet might be ok cost/quality for colour.

Cheers. I don't really need colour printing, although a scanner would be handy. Does that come as standard with printers now? Certainly prepared to pay for a quality printer that lasts.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Cheers. I don't really need colour printing, although a scanner would be handy. Does that come as standard with printers now? Certainly prepared to pay for a quality printer that lasts.

Then it's laser for you based on that.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
Then it's laser for you based on that.

Great, thanks. Anticipated use is maybe once or twice a week printing out bundles of documents which are usually between 60 and 100 pages in total. Anything bigger or more complicated than that I can do at work, but it would be very nice to be able to work from home whenever possible.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If you have cheap ink jet printer, when you run out of ink it can be cheaper to buy a new printer than the ink refills - its a mad world.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I've been talking to a few people at work and a wireless laser is definitely coming next. The last 4 printers I've bought have been photo printers and I've not printed more than a dozen photos; it's easier to go to Sainos and do it.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I've just had a quick look, without researching much further admittedly, and laser printers seem to have come right down in price. Lot's there that are cheaper than we paid for our half decent Canon inkjet a few years back.

Definitely a no brainer for you to go laser, especially as you're saving money long term with a laser on print costs and getting better quailty too.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Cheers. I don't really need colour printing, although a scanner would be handy. Does that come as standard with printers now?

you can get combined print/scan units, might be better to get a cheap standalone along side a strong printer rather than a compromised all-in-one. unless space is constraint.

As I understand it, laser printers are expensive and only worth the investment if you plan to print thousands of copies of black and white at home on a regular basis. Not sure if anything's changed since I last looked.

certainly used to be the case but lasers start at around £50 and knock spots off inkjet. you might still pay the same again for replacment cartridge but its worth it for no hassle and quality of print. for home office probably want to look north of £100 and with a HP label (solid work horses).

and supermarket photo printing ftw.

barchetta

Mar 21, 2016
Cartridge world in portland road when he was opened recommended brother wireless laser to me. it did duplex and replacement cartridges can be refilled for 15 pounds a pop. Only issue i have is that it needs an app for iphones as it wont print directly.

cheap skates at work have just moved to brother printers and non genuine cartridges.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Black and white laser. If you really need colour, you can purchase short runs at a library or computer shop. Monochrome laser will print match tickets OK. I bought a Brother under £50 with some ink.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
If you are working from home surely the company provide the printers? its the cost of cartridges that is the biggest expense, Im a home based worker and the company just send us printers and we buy cartridges with a company credit card.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Laser all the way! Got a Canon mono printer, so just a black cartridge no extra colours. Think it was about £45 for the cartridge and does about 1000 pages if i remember, bought it years ago no issues to date.

Shatner's Bassoon

The Puff Pastry Hangman
Feb 12, 2012
If you are working from home surely the company provide the printers? its the cost of cartridges that is the biggest expense, Im a home based worker and the company just send us printers and we buy cartridges with a company credit card.

I'm self-employed but usually work from an office.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I bought an HP 2300 s/h off eBay which does duplex [double-sided] about 4 years ago - £40 = no brainer
I had an old Epson colour inkjet up until about 6 months ago and I'd been getting decent compatible cartridges for a £1 a pop - but it died after 10 years loyal service.
Replaced it a HP Colour 200 laser jet - so I have 2 laser jets ....

No messing now and simples ....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here