Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

HMV to go from Churchill square

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Been there since 1970. First vinyl I bought there was Star Man with suffragette city on b side.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Used to be good in pre-online shopping days when Virgin Megastore was just opposite, and you could easily compare prices just be walking between the two. Think HMV usually turned out to be cheaper.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Used to be good in pre-online shopping days when Virgin Megastore was just opposite, and you could easily compare prices just be walking between the two. Think HMV usually turned out to be cheaper.

Much preferred Virgin when they were on the corner of Queens Road and when they moved over the road. When they became the Megastore they became just another shop.
With on line ordering and downloads HMV have been struggling and the rent increase is probably too much. However with the resurgence of vinyl they may be heading to healthier times.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Can't be many prestigious shops left in CS now? Last time I had the misfortune of walking through it seemed to be full of those shops that sell stuff FOR MEN. Usually stocked with knock off remote control helicopters, novelty beer glasses and Star Wars bedside lights.

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
Has it? Thought it was relatively recent, I used to go to the one on Western Road.

I vaguely recall the original HMV being in the old Churchill Square (left-hand side?) before it relocated to be on Western Road when the redevelopment happened. And then it came back into the hateful mall a few years later.

Christ, that makes me feel old.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I vaguely recall the original HMV being in the old Churchill Square (left-hand side?) before it relocated to be on Western Road when the redevelopment happened. And then it came back into the hateful mall a few years later.

Yes, was where the Disney Store was until fairly recently - now an underwear shop I think? I went to see George Best signing his VHS video release, got a picture with him too...think it was just me, my friend, and a couple of staff in the store with George. Sad that there wasn't the interest...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
HMV missed a trick. They didn't see the online revolution coming. As a trusted brand of over 100 years, a high street staple and a well loved name, if they'd had some forward thinkers on board they could have cornered that market easily. Shame.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Shame.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Even less reason to go into town. I liked a walk around HMV. Do we have many decent shops left in Brighton? A lot of prestigious ones have gone. We used to have a Libertys and of course Hanningtons. I as a kid I loved going to visit the grotto on the lower floor.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Yep that's right close to Habitat....I used to work at that HMV store on a Saturday 74/75... nice working in a record shop..only problem was that they gave you a good discount on the product, so I ended up just taking records home and no money

el punal

Not as old as me! HMV used to be my weekly shop stop for albums back in the early 70s until Virgin turned up by the clock tower. I must admit I always thought that HMV were in Churchill Square but did they have a smaller outlet further down Western Road, or is that another outfit? Memory fading and all that!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Not as old as me! HMV used to be my weekly shop stop for albums back in the early 70s until Virgin turned up by the clock tower. I must admit I always thought that HMV were in Churchill Square but did they have a smaller outlet further down Western Road, or is that another outfit? Memory fading and all that!

Had a shop on Western Rd that remained open when CS opened. Western rd branch closed down a few years ago. In it's place we have had an increasingly ropey series of nomadic tat shops run by immigrants possessing various levels of legal status and personal hygiene, peddling, in turns, goods such as "designer" clothing for £1. Flourescent socks, mirrors and suitcases, mass produced sculptures of Dirk Bogarde, ashtrays on stands, laminated posters of unicorns swimming through rainbows, Michael Jackson coffee mug and coaster sets, mobile phone accessories and last but not least, the legendary "Authentic" turkish rug shop.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
There's a great set of photos of the shop from 1985 via https://www.flickr.com/photos/hmvgetcloser/sets/72157625519187579/

I worked there Saturdays/Xmas 1984/5. Sold a lot of Band Aid singles.

5280215748_5114ca6173_o.jpg

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Where are your photos?
I would like to see some photos of HMV in the early 70s. Great photos from the 80s posted by Chailey Jem, brings back great memories of spending a few pounds in there.

Couldn't afford a camera in those days..but I did build up a nice vinyl collection:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here