Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Cricket Australia Asks For Pregnancy Details Before Contacts

larus

Hmm. This will get people up in arms I bet.

Cricket Australia has asked female cricketers to declare if they are pregnant before signing a central contract.

They currently honour central contracts if someone becomes pregnant during the term of the contract (I assume they are annual contracts).

So, is this sexist or is it reasonable to notify the other side that you won't be able to fulfil your contracted duties? In effect, by signing the contract and knowing they are pregnant (thereby unable to carry out their side of the contract) are they 'defrauding' C.A.?

(Should say contract in the thread title).

Last edited:

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
It will get some people up in arms, however it is not that far different from here in my view. Don;t you have to have been in a company for longer than 6 months in order to claim maternity leave?

We may not outright ask it but it is included within T+Cs for a lot of jobs.

I would also say they probably have a duty of care to expectant mothers with cricket balls flying around that can do significant damage

larus

It will get some people up in arms, however it is not that far different from here in my view. Don;t you have to have been in a company for longer than 6 months in order to claim maternity leave?

We may not outright ask it but it is included within T+Cs for a lot of jobs.

I would also say they probably have a duty of care to expectant mothers with cricket balls flying around that can do significant damage

I guess it depends what the motive is. If it's H&S, then there can be no complaints.

If it's to allow them to make decisions on whether to award a contact to someone, well, to me, that is reasonable.

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot
I guess it depends what the motive is. If it's H&S, then there can be no complaints.

If it's to allow them to make decisions on whether to award a contact to someone, well, to me, that is reasonable.

I would guess the official line is the former with some having the latter as their actual motives. It is very easy for me as a man to agree with them on that and say that you wouldn't want to award a contract knowing you would have limited return on your investment. However with my wife having to go through redundancy/bullying out of work 7 years ago when pregnant with mini Sock then I can understand why people would find this difficult to take.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
To be fair, they are only asking that the players declare if they ARE pregnant, at the point of signing the contract. I think that's pretty reasonable. Obviously they'd still get full maternity rights if they were to fall pregnant DURING the contract term.

If someone knowingly pregnant were to sign a 12 month contract, without disclosing that to their prospective employer, that would be pretty unethical in my opinion.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Should test the men as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here