Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bloody dogooders!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Two former soldiers are to be prosecuted for murder in relation to the fatal shooting of an Official IRA man in Belfast in 1972.
The defendants, known as Soldier A and Soldier C, are the surviving members of the Army patrol which shot Joe McCann.
They are aged 65 and 67, and were in the Parachute Regiment.
They are from England, but are expected to appear in court in Northern Ireland in the next few months.
Joe McCann was a prominent member of the Official IRA. He was 25 when he was shot near his home in the Markets area of Belfast.
The original police investigation was conducted in the early 1970s and no-one was prosecuted.
Prosecutors have reviewed the case after the Northern Ireland Attorney General, John Larkin, referred it to the Director of Public Prosecutions in March 2014.
This followed a report in 2012 by a police team which investigated alleged crimes from the Troubles.
A spokesperson for the Public Prosecution Service said the decision to prosecute the men for murder was reached "following an objective and impartial application of the test for prosecution"

I bet if your solider B your breathing a huge sigh of relief right now.

Joe McCann

Joe McCann was appointed commander of the OIRA's Third Belfast Battalion. By 1970, violence in Northern Ireland had escalated to the point where British soldiers were deployed there in large numbers. From 3–5 July 1970, McCann was involved in gun battles during the Falls Curfew between the Official IRA and up to 3,000 British soldiers in the Lower Falls area that left four civilians dead from gunshot wounds, another killed after being hit by an armoured car and 60 injured.[1] On 22 May 1971, McCann's unit ambushed a British patrol, killing one soldier.

In early February 1972, he was involved in the attempted assassination of Ulster Unionist politician and Northern Ireland Minister for Home Affairs John Taylor in Moira, County Down. McCann and another gunman fired on Taylor's car with Thompson submachine guns, hitting him five times in the neck and head, but he survived, though badly injured. In another incident he and a comrade were standing outside a Belfast cinema to purchase tickets for the film Soldier Blue when McCann spotted a British Army checkpoint. He drew his gun and fired at the soldiers before running away laughing.

Joe McCann was killed on 15 April 1972 in Joy St in The Markets. McCann had been sent to Belfast by a member of the Dublin command as he was at the top of the RUC Special Branch wanted list. He was told by the Official IRA Belfast command to return for his own safety to Dublin. However he ignored their requests and remained in Belfast.

The RUC Special Branch was aware of his presence in Belfast and were on the look out for him. he was spotted by an RUC officer on the morning of his death who reported his whereabouts to the British Parachute Regiment, who were carrying out a road block in the immediate area at the time. McCann was approached by the RUC officer who informed him that he was under arrest. McCann was unarmed and tried to run to safety when confronted by the soldiers. He was shot dead at the corner of Joy Street and Hamilton Street after a chase on foot through the Markets.

Ten cartridge cases were found close to his body, indicating that he had been shot repeatedly at close range. Bullet holes were also visible in the walls of nearby houses.[5]

McCann was the leader of the most militant of the OIRA's members in Belfast and was much more enthusiastic about the use of "armed struggle" in Northern Ireland than the OIRA leadership. His killing was closely followed by the organisation calling a ceasefire. As a result, it was rumoured that the reason that McCann was unarmed when he was killed was that the Official leadership had confiscated his personal weapon, a .38 pistol. Some former OIRA members have even alleged that McCann's killing was set up by their Dublin leadership

Sorry to be the British soldiers should not be up on murder charges the guy knew the rules of engagement

Last edited:

Miximate

Aug 30, 2012
Mid Sussex
Two former soldiers are to be prosecuted for murder in relation to the fatal shooting of an Official IRA man in Belfast in 1972.
The defendants, known as Soldier A and Soldier C, are the surviving members of the Army patrol which shot Joe McCann.
They are from England, but are expected to appear in court in Northern Ireland in the next few months.
Joe McCann was a prominent member of the Official IRA. He was 25 when he was shot near his home in the Markets area of Belfast.
The original police investigation was conducted in the early 1970s and no-one was prosecuted.
Prosecutors have reviewed the case after the Northern Ireland Attorney General, John Larkin, referred it to the Director of Public Prosecutions in March 2014.
This followed a report in 2012 by a police team which investigated alleged crimes from the Troubles.
A spokesperson for the Public Prosecution Service said the decision to prosecute the men for murder was reached "following an objective and impartial application of the test for prosecution"

Dont reckon Soldier B is breathing at all if you read the quote !

Paul Reids Sock

Nov 3, 2004
Paul Reids boot

have to admit to a pretty audible chuckle at that - shame the office was having a quiet moment at the time

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Ten cartridge cases were found close to his body, indicating that he had been shot repeatedly at close range.

Seeing shit like this makes me ashamed to be British,this Government knows no shame,absolute filth,every single member of the armed forces should hand their notice in now,not a day goes by without these ***** making me feel sick.

Really?

The guy shot sounds like a toe-rag who would have done exactly the same (probably had, in fact) given the chance, and I doubt many right-minded folk would have mourned his passing, but the day we give our forces leave to summarily execute people without trial, is the day we stoop to their level.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If we're going to dredge up crap like this then prosecute Gerry Adams for his IRA membership and his collusion in the murder of Jean McConville. Also, re-open the cases of every single unsolved IRA murder.

Or alternatively, afford every person who bravely served in the Army and the RUC in Northern Ireland the same courtesy as all those murderous terrorist scum from both sides who have been let out of prison early or had their cases quietly dropped - draw a line under everything, accept that the past was imperfect and for the sake of peace, move on with our lives. This decision today is beyond offensive, it's a betrayal of those who risked their lives in defence of the Crown.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I agree, time to draw a line under this. A lot of 'wrong' things were done on both sides but re-opening cases like this is not going to help anyone.

Really?

The guy shot sounds like a toe-rag who would have done exactly the same (probably had, in fact) given the chance, and I doubt many right-minded folk would have mourned his passing, but the day we give our forces leave to summarily execute people without trial, is the day we stoop to their level.

**** him,dirty ****,should be a bit more of this with some of these shithouses coming back from butterfly collecting in Syria,we are at war for ****s sake.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If we're going to dredge up crap like this then prosecute Gerry Adams for his IRA membership and his collusion in the murder of Jean McConville. Also, re-open the cases of every single unsolved IRA murder.

Or alternatively, afford every person who bravely served in the Army and the RUC in Northern Ireland the same courtesy as all those murderous terrorist scum from both sides who have been let out of prison early or had their cases quietly dropped - draw a line under everything, accept that the past was imperfect and for the sake of peace, move on with our lives. This decision today is beyond offensive, it's a betrayal of those who risked their lives in defence of the Crown.

Indeed. The Good Friday Agreement should work both ways.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
If you want a 'Truth and reconciliation' type situation then fair enough Buzzer . We can have one over Iraq then Syria and then the next one. If you want to call these IRA guys murdering scum then you have to hold the moral high ground.
And before Storming Norman comes ranting I despised the IRA as much as the next man although I believed then and still do now in a united Ireland. I don't believe in planting bombs outside burger bars in pedestrians precincts but then I don't believe in much of what our foreign forces are doing either.

I thought it was clear that I don't want a truth and reconciliation committee. I just want a line drawn under the whole thing. In the name of peace, we've released dozens of convicted murderers from all sides. This sticks in the craw for a lot of people but everyone recognises that if we are to have peace then we have to move on. If elements within the Republican movement who are the ones pushing for these politically motivated convictions want to go down this route then there's an awful lot of skeletons (quite literally) in their closets that are just as deserving of investigation and then where are we? Re-opening these old wounds could push a lot of people back into waging war with each other.

Regards my comments, I don't think I'm taking a particularly high moral ground by describing convicted murderers of innocent people as murderous scum. I called both sides the same name not just the IRA, I don't see any distinction between what was done in the names of groups such as the UVF and the INLA.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Having come face to face, and having to deal with these murdering SCUM on a daily basis in the late 70's, I say it's time these witch hunts were ended.
People making these decisions haven't got the balls to put their actual lives on the line to defend their country against terrorist FILTH.
Makes me sick.

Faceless pricks

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the idea of an united Ireland was/is something Dublin could never cope with,hence that's why the British Army were sent there,to protect Catholics

even in these modern times,Dublin would soon call on the British Government to help if it ever were re-united

the Ulster planters have been there for hundreds of years,it's their home,if it isn't I don't know where is?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here