Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Birmingham City Managerial Shenanigans - help or hindrance?

Me and my Monkey

Nov 3, 2015
This could go one of two ways:

TrillionzofTropheez.com have played an absolute blinder, with almost supernatural foresight employing a manager who will set free his players, who are all in fact repressed, flairistic, footballing geniuses, to go and express themselves. Meanwhile, back at Lancing, our lads will be sitting back thinking "huh, well this is an easy one, we hardly need bother to turn up. Consequently, they won't turn up, and we'll get a walloping.

Alternatively, our hapless, clueless friends at Trillionz have played an absolute blinder benefitting the rest of the division. The feeling of bewildered surprise will linger (seemingly none more surprised that Zola himself), and their players will meander around the pitch wondering what they should be doing with that bouncy round thing. Meanwhile, back at Lancing, our boys will be saying "C'MON LADS!!!!! , let's take this one by the THROAT and show them all JUST WHO THEY'RE MESSING WITH!!!!" And we'll clobber them 5-0.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Or it'll be a draw

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Sadly a hindrance. I would like to see the stats but I reckon most teams win their first game under a new manager.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Sadly a hindrance. I would like to see the stats but I reckon most teams win their first game under a new manager.

This is a bit of a QUEER situation though. Usually managers are sacked because the team is under-performing. New boss comes in bringing new optimism + players out to prove something = upsurge.

In this case a very popular manager who had his team OVER performing has been sacked. Could very easily have the opposite effect.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Looked a massive help.

Now a hindrance

Expecting a bounce . Zola may not be great tactician but it is widely known he's one of the nicest blokes in football. He will get the players on side in an instant.

Fans be fired up too.

Need first goal IMO

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
On this, if we're winning, we might be able to adopt and adapt The Kinks:

Oh Zola,
Looks like it's already over ...

... To be improved.

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Expecting a bounce .

This is a team of journeymen, loans and cast-offs, that are about 8 places higher in the table than they could reasonably have expected to be. How can they get a 'bounce'? You can't bounce UP if your momentum is already UP?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Human nature surely dictates Birmingham will be below par.

The more you consider this, the worse it gets. Rowett and his coaching staff of Summerfield, Sale and Pool are ALL ex-Birmingham players. Birmingham were in 23rd spot when Rowett took over. He steered them to a 10th place finish and now they have kicked on to be genuine play-off contenders. They were building something there.

Zola gave his first press conference as manager alone with no representatives from the club alongside him. Club unity comes from the top and I don't see they have that right now.

I fancy the Birmingham fans will be subdued and the players will be uncertain of what is going on. Top scorer Clayton Donaldson also has an Achilles problem and might not start. Hughton should be positive from the word go and get on the front-foot, try and get a two-goal cushion by half-time.

Bean

Feb 13, 2010
Hove
I don't think it is a hindrance at all. We could beat them before and we can beat them now.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Depends how long Zola knew of his appointment before it was announced, and when he started analysing his Birmingham players, and us for the match.

If he has had no time to do this properly then it is a definite help.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is a team of journeymen, loans and cast-offs, that are about 8 places higher in the table than they could reasonably have expected to be. How can they get a 'bounce'? You can't bounce UP if your momentum is already UP?

It's not and a bounce doesn't mean long term but short term.

Beat Leeds away
Smashed Norwich Home
Won at Fulham
Beat Wednesday

We can beat anyone but naïve if think they are not capable of a top performance on any given day...as are any side.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... Meanwhile, back at Lancing, our lads will be sitting back thinking "huh, well this is an easy one, we hardly need bother to turn up. Consequently, they won't turn up, and we'll get a walloping.

i dont think CH allows any such thoughts in preparing for games. if Zola is set up for flair that will work for us as they will be disorganised and finding a new way to play.

most new managers come i when a team has been performing badly under a manager not in tune with players anymore. not the case here, team were doing well, shock change too close to important game.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Looked a massive help.

Now a hindrance

Expecting a bounce . Zola may not be great tactician but it is widely known he's one of the nicest blokes in football. He will get the players on side in an instant.

Fans be fired up too.

Need first goal IMO

Depends how you look at it. However nice Zola is, I think the week they've had will have had an impact on Birmingham players. Rowett going along with his whole backroom staff will have impacted their preparation and Zola's style is very different to Rowett's. So, Zola is left with a choice to keep the players doing what they've been doing for now, using a style of play that's he's not used before or try to change the style of play in two days. Neither are ideal in my view.

That's not to say we won't lose. Just that I don't think it is as clear cut as suggested.

Also, not sure about fans. Think there might be a lot of annoyed supporters there tomorrow and, if we start well, they may start to express their frustration.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here