Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Celebrity deaths 2016: So it's true then

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
More than usual have snuffed it this year.

Ed Stewart, Baron (Cecil) Parkinson, Paul Daniels, Cliff Michelmore, Lord Avebury (Eric Lubbock), Nancy Reagan, Pierre Boulez, David Bowie, Frank Finlay, Alan Rickman, Sir Terry Wogan, Margaret Forster, John Chilton, Ronnie Corbett, Zaha Hadid, Barry Hines, Peter Maxwell Davies, Harper Lee, Sir George Martin, Robert Stigwood, Glenn Frey, Boutros Boutros Ghali, Tony Warren, Victoria Wood, Garry Shandling, Leonard Cohen, Andrew Sachs, Gene Wilder, Caroline Aherne, Muhammad Ali, Carla Lane, Prince, Sir Jimmy Young, Fidel Castro, Robert Vaughn, Arnold Palmer, Elie Wiesel, Shimon Peres, Burt Kwouk, Peter Shaffer, Greg Lake, Peter Vaughan

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-38329740

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The salient point sadly is:

'Although there does seem to have been an inexorable rise, Serpell says there hasn't been any change in the BBC's policy on what sort of person qualifies for an obituary.

He thinks that the increase isn't particularly surprising, because we're now half a century on from the flourishing of both TV and pop culture in the 1960s, which massively expanded the overall pool of public figures.

You're going to have to get used to hearing the celebrity obituary.'

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I think its also true that there are more 'celebrities'. The number of TV, movie and pop starts grew exponentially from the 1960's. Those who were in their primes then are now reaching the end of their naturals.
2017 will be worse I tell ye...

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I shall miss the two Vaugh(a)n's. Peter the more obvious baddie but watch Bob's performance in "Bulllitt" as the creepy politico, enough to make your flesh crawl.

Reminds me of a few in THIS country I've bumped into, or tried not to.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Bruce Forsyth's postie is going to have a lighter load this year.. just hope Her Maj can hang on over Xmas that would REALLY send the Obits section into orbit. Or Phil come to that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here