Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rafa Benitez has paid tribute to Chris Hughton after Newcastle United retook Brighton

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Rafa Benitez has paid tribute to Chris Hughton after Newcastle United retook Brighton and Hove Albion in the Championship

Brighton had beaten Blackburn Rovers 3-2 the night before to briefly lead the Championship. Hughton, the last man to guide Newcastle to promotion, spoke warmly about Benitez after the game at Ewood Park. And United manager Benitez feels Brighton's results speak for themselves under Hughton, a popular figure on Tyneside. "He's a great manager and he has a very good team," said Benitez. "They are doing really well. It's not easy to win in any competition, but (especially) the Championship. Still they are winning. That (tells) me how good he is and how good the team is." Asked about staying above Brighton, Benitez added: "We try, obviously, but Brighton are doing well.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport...-newcastle-retake-championship-lead-1-8290623

Last edited:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Makes a change to be competing with a team with a manager that isn't so arrogant as to think they are so much better than us. Would be more than happy to go up with them.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Makes a change to be competing with a team with a manager that isn't so arrogant as to think they are so much better than us. Would be more than happy to go up with them.

It's really the first time I have seen RB comment on the Albion and CH!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Hopefully we'll both keep winning and taking points off of promotion rivals. I'm perfectly happy to come second to Newcastle if it means promotion.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I've definitely warmed to Rafa over the last few years.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Rafa has always seemed fairly humble and classy. I obviously want us to finish above Newcastle (still very doubtful) but not getting into a Southampton style rivalry. Which is a good thing. Just concentrating on those 3rd & below but most importantly... us..

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Rafa has always seemed fairly humble and classy. I obviously want us to finish above Newcastle (still very doubtful) but not getting into a Southampton style rivalry. Which is a good thing. Just concentrating on those 3rd & below but most importantly... us..
Agree, I've always had time for the fat Spanish waiter. Seems a decent bloke.

Nice to have two competing managers showing respect for each other and their teams. Take note Jose, Pardew and other gimps.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The longer we are in a 2-way title race with Newcastle the less likely we are to look over our shoulder and start getting the jitters.

Newcastle have lost 5 matches already. They're a good side but we can win the title, we CAN do this.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
That's pretty much what Owen Coyle said about us pre-match.

:lol: I think we were 10th last season in the playing budget table weren't we?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here