Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

very off tpoic and one for the electricians

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
You obviously don't and shouldn't have 3 pin sockets in the bathroom :)

I'm not intending to by the way but was randomly thinking about a couple of things.

1) What is the deal with that thing you only see in a hotel :) the shaver socket. How is it "safer" at all.

2) Why aren't we seeing low voltage USB sockets being safely installed ? Wouldn't that be a better modern solution to power a shaver and/or electric toothbrush,

I've got one of those newer three pins sockets in the living room with a built in USB which I find incredibly useful.

Since we have low power charging charging (albeit via the mains) as part of every day life - why hasn't something safe found its way into the bathroom via I guess something installed externally.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
1) What is the deal with that thing you only see in a hotel :) the shaver socket. How is it "safer" at all.
It's low voltage (or at least low power)
2) Why aren't we seeing low voltage USB sockets being safely installed ?
Because shavers don't run off USB?

Since we have low power charging charging (albeit via the mains) as part of every day life - why hasn't something safe found its way into the bathroom
It has. It's a shaver socket.

Last edited:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
It's low voltage.
Because shavers don't run off USB?

It has. It's a shaver socket.

Why don't shavers have an internal battery that is USB chargeable ?

I've noticed the other day that a company has brought out the first USB chargeable toothbrush.

My point being - is it only time that the now completely universal method of powering or charging small devices (outside of the bathroom) finds it's way in ?

I understand things that have been completely standard ( like water pipes, three pin sockets, radiators etc..) are very difficult to replace with a "better" idea.

However wouldn't it be great that via single transformer in the house, a USB power socket was as normal as a three pin socket ?

You only have to take your charger out of the house and USB power becomes normal in wet areas.

Don't need chargers in the living room - I have one of these:

31h0lqJz2nL.jpg

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Why don't shavers have an internal battery that is USB chargeable ?

I've noticed the other day that a company has brought out the first USB chargeable toothbrush.

My point being - is it only time that the now completely universal method of powering or charging small devices (outside of the bathroom) finds it's way in ?
Consumers buy a new phone and they get a charger - and they can also then connect their phone to their PC. And we buy other devices that can now use usb chargers - great. Great because none of this requires us to call an electrician round.

Many bathrooms already have shaving sockets, so if you want to sell shavers, it's easy to sell them wish a shaver socket cord.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Consumers buy a new phone and they get a charger - and they can also then connect their phone to their PC. And we buy other devices that can now use usb chargers - great. Great because none of this requires us to call an electrician round.

Many bathrooms already have shaving sockets, so if you want to sell shavers, it's easy to sell them wish a shaver socket cord.

Most bathroom don't have shaver socket though. It was a solution in the past to something that required electricity in a special area. It's also incredibly limited. Shavers and Toothbrushes.

However because of battery technology - it's revolutionised the portability of devices.

USB chargeable shavers and toothbrushes (sorry they have been around for a while) can be charged outside and brought in.

Wouldn't it make perfect sense in day and age to introduce the ubiquitous USB charging to all areas ? Particularly the bathroom....

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why would you want to charge anything in the bathroom.

why charge electric toothbrushes or shavers anywhere else? :)

USB is quite a specific specification, it might not suit all charging needs and isnt the greatest interface for charging (its intended for data transfer after all). a USB socket with USB A to two pole barrel plug adapter may be a good idea - go patent it.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why would you want to charge anything in the bathroom.
You wouldn't just charging - you would be using.

Certain devices (like a radio) would have an inbuilt battery but be connected to USB to top the power up.

Personally I'd like a central transformer and USB (or any DC) power distribution (not data) around the house.

If the spec changes you would adjust the transformer and update the face plates.

Petunia

Living the dream
NSC Patron
May 8, 2013
Downunder
My daughter has 2 sockets in her bathroom for her hair appliances. In her old place the washing machine and tumble drier were both in the bathroom, together with appliance sockets.

She lives in Australia btw!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
USB standards keep changing, so your face plate is likely to be obsolete in a couple of years

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Many devices are not only extra low voltage but also low wattage and run on DC we still are wedded to the idea that items need mains power.

Clearly some devices require higher current capabilities than the standard USB can supply but having a dedicated USB ring main with dedicated outlets around the home I think makes sense

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I have one of these:

31h0lqJz2nL.jpg

Depending on the design, these things draw power when not in use. Its only a tiny amount and will only cost a couple of quid a year, but it would irk me and its not very 'green'. Its more of a problem when you have 'always on' usb sockets wired into a car. Those things will flatten the car battery if its left for a week (depending on battery condition, power draw etc).

These things should all have a physical cut-off built into them when nothing is plugged into them. A few of them do, but most don't.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
USB standards keep changing, so your face plate is likely to be obsolete in a couple of years
But they are now very cheap and modular.

If you had an intelligent transformer surely it would be relatively straightforward to distributed DC to any room in a variety of forms.

If something changes you just flip out the small cheap face plate.

Something else I've considered :)

I have a small south facing shed outside the bathroom window.

You can now buy reasonable good solar panels with a USB output power output.

Put the panel on the shed to top up a power pack inside. Run a short connection and face plate in to top up devices.

Am I mad ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here