Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Jaap Stam LOSES IT

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Following on from the Collymore media flounce, here is Jaap Stam, getting the right hump because Leeds fans dared to suggest Reading's football wasn't all that scintillating last night.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/reading-boss-jaap-stam-launches-9456086?1

Reading boss Jaap Stam has slammed Leeds United fans for labelling his side 'boring' during the Royals' 2-0 defeat at Elland Road last night.

Despite boasting 77 per cent of possession, Stam's side were unable to overcome the Yorkshire side, in what the Dutchman described as one his team's best performances of the season, report Get Reading. Leeds fans disagreed with the former Manchester United man though, chanting 'boring, boring Reading' when the visitors kept the ball in defence.

And that left Stam unimpressed.

“You can tell something about how they are as human beings to be fair," he said. "It's a way of thinking. Because if you think that this is boring I think they need to have a look at their own team and how they play.”

Despite seeing far less of the ball during the contest, Leeds claimed a 2-0 win and had four shots on target compared to Reading’s two.

“Because I don’t want to play and just wait and wait and wait. That’s not my type of playing, my type of tactics. You can say congratulations to Garry Monk, he got the result and everyone wants results. But in terms of way of playing, it’s not my cup of tea.”

I don't think it's just Leeds fans, Jaap. The Sky match analyst mentioned several times that Reading were spending a lot of time fannying around with the ball across their back four, but not actually showing any desire to progress up the field with it. Sounds like an early model Gus Poyet side.

Methinks his sudden huff is more to do with the fact they lost (and he probably got booed at Elland Road, as an ex Man United player) than any perceived slight on their playing style.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Seems a bit like sour grapes from Jaap, which is understandable but a bit of a shame.

You do get the impression that if he were to ever actually lose it he'd be bloody terrifying.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
He's calm s-l300.jpg

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Following on from the Collymore media flounce, here is Jaap Stam, getting the right hump because Leeds fans dared to suggest Reading's football wasn't all that scintillating last night.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/reading-boss-jaap-stam-launches-9456086?1

Reading boss Jaap Stam has slammed Leeds United fans for labelling his side 'boring' during the Royals' 2-0 defeat at Elland Road last night.

Despite boasting 77 per cent of possession, Stam's side were unable to overcome the Yorkshire side, in what the Dutchman described as one his team's best performances of the season, report Get Reading. Leeds fans disagreed with the former Manchester United man though, chanting 'boring, boring Reading' when the visitors kept the ball in defence.

And that left Stam unimpressed.

“You can tell something about how they are as human beings to be fair," he said. "It's a way of thinking. Because if you think that this is boring I think they need to have a look at their own team and how they play.”

Despite seeing far less of the ball during the contest, Leeds claimed a 2-0 win and had four shots on target compared to Reading’s two.

“Because I don’t want to play and just wait and wait and wait. That’s not my type of playing, my type of tactics. You can say congratulations to Garry Monk, he got the result and everyone wants results. But in terms of way of playing, it’s not my cup of tea.”

I don't think it's just Leeds fans, Jaap. The Sky match analyst mentioned several times that Reading were spending a lot of time fannying around with the ball across their back four, but not actually showing any desire to progress up the field with it. Sounds like an early model Gus Poyet side.

Methinks his sudden huff is more to do with the fact they lost (and he probably got booed at Elland Road, as an ex Man United player) than any perceived slight on their playing style.

A lot of people think, possession is the most important consideration (which of course it is not). Soaking up opponents pressure and counter attacking is much more relevant and arguably much more effective in certain situations IMO. Yeah Sour Grapes, and they have not really had many, if any, fixtures against the top ten in the Championship

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Yeah Sour Grapes, and they have not really had many, if any, fixtures against the top ten in the Championship

Eh? They've played team in the top 10, bar Norwich

It's halfway through the season, everyone has nearly played everyone now

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
they have not really had many, if any, fixtures against the top ten in the Championship

I seem to recall hearing that from a lot of opposing fans about us last season, funnily enough almost up until the point where we'd played everyone :lol:

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
A former Manchester United defender paying the most back-handed of compliments to a Leeds United team. Yeah, that's an earth shattering development.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Good news he is that fragile, I thought he seemed a bit tougher than that.

Stam is definitely 'doing a Poyet', it's a re-education process at Reading for players and fans alike.

But he has got a pretty average team high up the table, and they all believe in his methods so must be doing something right.

Still think their most creative player is John Swift, out injured supposedly until the New Year but may be back before that. He was playing really well before the ankle problem.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Snowflake or what?

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
I seem to recall hearing that from a lot of opposing fans about us last season, funnily enough almost up until the point where we'd played everyone :lol:

AND we'd played ALL our games at home..AND we'd had no injuries, despite being 5 first teamers down :lolol:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Without knowing anything else about the game, I was on the Leeds fans' side - 77% and 2 shots - you muppets! But to be fair to them, they had 14 shots & 6 corners vs Leeds 12 & 0, so presumably they didn't just sit at the back while losing.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The two worst things about Reading. On the team sheet, they always (and always have) put 'Reading fans' as the eighth substitute. And the fans singing that absurd '106, we've got the record, with 106'. Hardly anyone knows what it refers to, and even those that DO know it is about the most points in the Championship don't give a f**k. Embarrassing.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
The two worst things about Reading. On the team sheet, they always (and always have) put 'Reading fans' as the eighth substitute. And the fans singing that absurd '106, we've got the record, with 106'. Hardly anyone knows what it refers to, and even those that DO know it is about the most points in the Championship don't give a f**k. Embarrassing.

Never knew that about the team sheet - surely they'd get fined for naming an 8th sub :lol: The irony is, their support is shit in noise & numbers :lol:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

It is a monumentally shit song, it really is :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here