Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oliver Norwood

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I know he is (rightly in my opinion) criticized for giving the ball away too easily at times and trying to be over intricate but I make that 3 of our 5 away wins in the league with him in the starting line up and believe he came off the bench in the other 2. Not bad for someone who we class as our 4th choice central midfielder!

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I know he is (rightly in my opinion) criticized for giving the ball away too easily at times and trying to be over intricate but I make that 3 of our 5 away wins in the league with him in the starting line up and believe he came off the bench in the other 2. Not bad for someone who we class as our 4th choice central midfielder!

He also started in the defeat to Brenford and came on as sub against Newcastle!!!!

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He also started in the defeat to Brenford and came on as sub against Newcastle!!!!

I'm well aware, I'm not claiming he is a football genius or whenever he is involved we win... My point is he has been involved in lots of our away wins this season, not too shabby for a 4th choice CM.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Bristol, came on at 74 mins after we were already 2-0 up.
Sheff Wed, played whole game.
Wigan, poor performance and replaced by Stephens who got the winner.
Burton, only played 10 mins but was coincidentally on the pitch when Hemed scored penalty.

I haven't seen a telling performance from him all season and he's No.4 for a reason.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I just wish he'd hit a free-kick like Paul Watson.

That's to say, when those wide free-kicks are whipped in they HAVE to be aimed inside the far post so that if no one manages to get a touch, then the ball goes in anyway. Had he hit his free-kicks like that in the first half on Friday night we'd have been out of sight and on our way to another 4-0.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The whole team played badly against Brentford and were second best against Newcastle. Hardly fair to point the finger as he, and Duffy, had only recently joined the club and were finding their feet.

Not necessarily pointing the finger at Norwood for the defeats but at the flaws in the OPs analysis. That said, from what I've seen, he is fourth choice for a reason. With the defence, I'm happy that Goldson and BFG are more than adequate replacements to come in for Duffy/Dunk but I don't see the same for Norwood as a replacement for Stephens, Kayal and Sidwell.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Bristol, came on at 74 mins after we were already 2-0 up.
Sheff Wed, played whole game.
Wigan, poor performance and replaced by Stephens who got the winner.
Burton, only played 10 mins but was coincidentally on the pitch when Hemed scored penalty.

I haven't seen a telling performance from him all season and he's No.4 for a reason.

He also coincidently played the full matches against two top 6 sides which we won, he was probably a passenger in both games as we always beat Sheffield Wednesday away.... oh.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
His general play is decent,... positioning pretty good... but when called upon to put in a burst of pace, here he is lacking.... and that can and will be exposed.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

That's to say, when those wide free-kicks are whipped in they HAVE to be aimed inside the far post so that if no one manages to get a touch, then the ball goes in anyway. Had he hit his free-kicks like that in the first half on Friday night we'd have been out of sight and on our way to another 4-0.

Watson at Port Vale for example, 2002!

Agree about Norwood's free kicks on Friday. They were close to being good but whilst that, from a distance might look good, they needed to be better and, as you say, should be directed to be inside the far post.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
He also coincidently played the full matches against two top 6 sides which we won, he was probably a passenger in both games as we always beat Sheffield Wednesday away.... oh.

Would you play him ahead of the other three? I suspect not so the only thing this thread confirms is that our squad is stronger.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Looking at the ratings of those who attended the game, he put in a good shift. That's good enough for me.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here

The problem with his free kicks on Friday was that no-one (eg Duffy, for it was he they were designed for) got on the end of them.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Maybe we should sell him to Burnley. They take all our rubbish players, like Ashley Barnes.

And someone needs to tell Mr Hughton not to play someone who is obviously so poor ahead of Sidwell.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He's our fourth choice centrocampista (best Italian word ever) and rightly so, but it's testament to the strength of the squad that this is indeed the case. He just highlights what Hughton has got so right with this team - no £13m Jonjo Shelvey types here this season. We have spent our money making pretty much every position so competitive that they all get a chance at some point or other.

I remember reading that crap Reading forum and they were all chuckling at what an upgrade their Norwood replacement was and that we are welcome to him. Er yes lads, but he's 4th choice for us whereas he started most games for you last season. And of course, I'm sure Norwood himself is delighted with this sideways move - what with us 8 points clear of them and him getting regular game time proving the value of a competitive squad.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Watson at Port Vale for example, 2002!

Agree about Norwood's free kicks on Friday. They were close to being good but whilst that, from a distance might look good, they needed to be better and, as you say, should be directed to be inside the far post.

Away at Spurs in the cup...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The problem with his free kicks on Friday was that no-one (eg Duffy, for it was he they were designed for) got on the end of them.

With those free-kicks you have to give yourself two chances to score and he didn't.

Well, he may have done. He may well have been aiming inside the far post. If he was, he missed both times.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
With those free-kicks you have to give yourself two chances to score and he didn't.

Well, he may have done. He may well have been aiming inside the far post. If he was, he missed both times.
That said, missing by a couple of inches is still considerably better than well over 90% of AMEX era freekicks.
At least there's the possibility of a goal.

Sure some smart arse will start screaming Spanish Dave, having conveniently forgotten the hundreds of kicks launched high up into the stands.

I have had money on Duffy scoring for the last 3 games, I thought after Leeds it was going to be one of those 'oh so close' bets, but thankfully I stuck with it.
Everybody should have realised, after Friday, his goal was coming sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here