Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 85

Thread: Oliver Norwood

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    8,951

    Oliver Norwood


    2 Not allowed!
    I know he is (rightly in my opinion) criticized for giving the ball away too easily at times and trying to be over intricate but I make that 3 of our 5 away wins in the league with him in the starting line up and believe he came off the bench in the other 2. Not bad for someone who we class as our 4th choice central midfielder!

    • North Stand Chat

      advertising
      Join Date: Jul 2003
      Posts: Lots

        


    • #2
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      17,391


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by stss30 View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I know he is (rightly in my opinion) criticized for giving the ball away too easily at times and trying to be over intricate but I make that 3 of our 5 away wins in the league with him in the starting line up and believe he came off the bench in the other 2. Not bad for someone who we class as our 4th choice central midfielder!
      He also started in the defeat to Brenford and came on as sub against Newcastle!!!!
    • #3
      Registered User
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Posts
      8,951


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      He also started in the defeat to Brenford and came on as sub against Newcastle!!!!
      I'm well aware, I'm not claiming he is a football genius or whenever he is involved we win... My point is he has been involved in lots of our away wins this season, not too shabby for a 4th choice CM.
    • #4
      Members el punal's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 2012
      Location
      Bitterne,Southampton. In the land of wrong stripes and boo-boys!
      Posts
      7,999


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      He also started in the defeat to Brenford and came on as sub against Newcastle!!!!
      The whole team played badly against Brentford and were second best against Newcastle. Hardly fair to point the finger as he, and Duffy, had only recently joined the club and were finding their feet.
    • #5
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      17,391


      0 Not allowed!
      Bristol, came on at 74 mins after we were already 2-0 up.
      Sheff Wed, played whole game.
      Wigan, poor performance and replaced by Stephens who got the winner.
      Burton, only played 10 mins but was coincidentally on the pitch when Hemed scored penalty.


      I haven't seen a telling performance from him all season and he's No.4 for a reason.
    • #6
      You can change this Bozza's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 2003
      Location
      Back in Sussex
      Posts
      45,793


      3 Not allowed!
      I just wish he'd hit a free-kick like Paul Watson.

      That's to say, when those wide free-kicks are whipped in they HAVE to be aimed inside the far post so that if no one manages to get a touch, then the ball goes in anyway. Had he hit his free-kicks like that in the first half on Friday night we'd have been out of sight and on our way to another 4-0.
    • #7
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      17,391


      1 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by el punal View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      The whole team played badly against Brentford and were second best against Newcastle. Hardly fair to point the finger as he, and Duffy, had only recently joined the club and were finding their feet.
      Not necessarily pointing the finger at Norwood for the defeats but at the flaws in the OPs analysis. That said, from what I've seen, he is fourth choice for a reason. With the defence, I'm happy that Goldson and BFG are more than adequate replacements to come in for Duffy/Dunk but I don't see the same for Norwood as a replacement for Stephens, Kayal and Sidwell.
    • #8
      Registered User
      Join Date
      Apr 2008
      Posts
      8,951


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      Bristol, came on at 74 mins after we were already 2-0 up.
      Sheff Wed, played whole game.
      Wigan, poor performance and replaced by Stephens who got the winner.
      Burton, only played 10 mins but was coincidentally on the pitch when Hemed scored penalty.


      I haven't seen a telling performance from him all season and he's No.4 for a reason.
      He also coincidently played the full matches against two top 6 sides which we won, he was probably a passenger in both games as we always beat Sheffield Wednesday away.... oh.
    • #9
      Members
      Join Date
      Apr 2015
      Posts
      2,275


      0 Not allowed!
      His general play is decent,... positioning pretty good... but when called upon to put in a burst of pace, here he is lacking.... and that can and will be exposed.

      Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    • #10
      Drew drew's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2006
      Location
      Burgess Hill
      Posts
      17,391


      0 Not allowed!
      Quote Originally Posted by Bozza View Post
      This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
      I just wish he'd hit a free-kick like Paul Watson.

      That's to say, when those wide free-kicks are whipped in they HAVE to be aimed inside the far post so that if no one manages to get a touch, then the ball goes in anyway. Had he hit his free-kicks like that in the first half on Friday night we'd have been out of sight and on our way to another 4-0.
      Watson at Port Vale for example, 2002!

      Agree about Norwood's free kicks on Friday. They were close to being good but whilst that, from a distance might look good, they needed to be better and, as you say, should be directed to be inside the far post.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •