Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Walter Swinburn:RIP

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Walter Swinburn

Just had a notification from BBC sport saying that he's died. Only 55 years old.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Blimey. What a year !

RIP

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
Such a shame, my biggest win ever was when he rode Lammtarra to victory in the Derby back in 1995. I got a tip off about 3 weeks before and managed to get 33/1 odds. me and my brother did £25EW. On the day he wont off at 14's and won at a canter. we got just over a grand back

RIP Sir.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Such a shame, my biggest win ever was when he rode Lammtarra to victory in the Derby back in 1995. I got a tip off about 3 weeks before and managed to get 33/1 odds. me and my brother did £25EW. On the day he wont off at 14's and won at a canter. we got just over a grand back

RIP Sir.

Rode my biggest ever win too......28/1 Ezzoud @ York. Nice memories of a good jockey. RIP.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
RIP Choirboy, won me a few quid back when I used to follow the flat religiously. As others have mentioned, back then there were some great riders to follow. Walter was, according to fellow riders, one of the greatest, and considering who he was up against, that's some statement. A golden age of flat jockeys, & I'd add Joe Mercer & Greville (the barking dog) Starkey to that era that I would follow.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Don't bet these days, don't even watch it much, but loved it back in the day, Piggott, Cauthen, Carson, Darley etc and indeed as previously referred to, The Choirboy. Part of a nostalgic era for me, and his passing was at a ridiculous age too, I'm very saddened.

Terribly sad of course, but none of us know when we are going to be called,, be it at 55, or 105.

The life of a jockey is a strange one too, Being forced into a virtual starvation diet on occasion to make a weight limit before a race, must take it out of you as well.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here