Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

MLS to start trials for VAR (Video Assistant Referee) during 2017 season

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
MLS have announced decision to start trials for a VAR during 2017 If successful they will implement it during the second half of the season. It will involve having an assistant referee in a booth with access to all video input. Intention is to use it on decisions regarding goals, penalties and red cards.

Clearly there have been embarrassing instances where a goal has been scored but disallowed by the referee. As the technology is now available it's probably about time it was used, other sports like NFL already use video replay. And does it undermine or assist the traditional role of the referee.

http://www.espnfc.us/major-league-soccer/story/3014832/don-garber-wants-mls-to-use-video-assistant-referee-system-in-2017-season

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Don't talk about MLS :down:

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Don't talk about MLS :down:

What happened, I had Toronto pegged as the winners. Giovinco was almost invisible, should have been subbed earlier. I thought playing in freezing cold conditions would have favored Toronto.

The only exciting thing about it was the penalty shoot out

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
What happened, I had Toronto pegged as the winners. Giovinco was almost invisible, should have been subbed earlier. I thought playing in freezing cold conditions would have favored Toronto.

The only exciting thing about it was the penalty shoot out

Seattle didn't have a shot on target! Their keeper also made a wonder save.

Annoyingly I was in a bar downtown, which half the Seattle fans seemed to go to after the match. Thankfully they were American*, so couldn't put together a chant with more than 2 words in.

* Canadians are just as bad in that respect

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here