Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Keep Your Needles on Your Real Xmas Trees.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
A method I've always found to help, is this;
Saw a few inches off of the bottom of the trunk to make a fresh, straight, cross-section.
Drill several small holes just a couple of mm deep all around the trunk from the bottom to the level which will eventually be covered in gravel. This is in the hope that the tree is fresh enough to take up water.
Get a suitable sized water-tight bucket or other container.
Get two pieces of wood which fit across the bottom of the inside of the bucket and nail or screw them in to the bottom of tree to make a X shape. This will aid stability.
Stand tree in bucket and fill with gravel.
Fill bucket with water.
Hope for the best!

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Saw a few inches off of the bottom of the trunk to make a fresh, straight, cross-section.
Drill several small holes just a couple of mm deep all around the trunk from the bottom to the level which will eventually be covered in gravel. This is in the hope that the tree is fresh enough to take up water.
Get two pieces of wood which fit across the bottom of the inside of the bucket and nail or screw them in to the bottom of tree to make a X shape. This will aid stability.
Fill bucket with water.
Hope for the best!

Did that, filled bucket with gravel as suggested, water then went all over the floor when I poured it in. :moo: Too much water?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fill bucket with water.
Hope for the best!
Or refuse to buy trees that have been cut down (killed) and only buy trees which still have their roots on (these are reusable for several years too, if planted out).

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Did that, filled bucket with gravel as suggested, water then went all over the floor when I poured it in. :moo: Too much water?

Stop pouring in the water just before it overflows! Did you use gravel? Sand or soil is no good. You must use an aggregate which leaves lots of air spaces for the water to fill.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Or refuse to buy trees that have been cut down (killed) and only buy trees which still have their roots on (these are reusable for several years too, if planted out).

I agree entirely but I'm afraid sawn-off trees will be with us for some time yet as they are the cheapest, easiest option and there's no shortage of suppliers.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Until people stop buying them, I suppose?

Exactly. I haven't bought one for thirty years and never will ever again, but I thought this advice may be useful to NSC'ers who have yet to have seen the error of their ways.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here