Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

White Christmas Brighton & Hove

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Can anyone tell me what year the last one was, this will be my 47th Christmas and I don't think there has been one in my lifetime! Oh and I don't mean a couple of snowflakes either, proper snow on the ground ready to go sledging.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Can anyone tell me what year the last one was, this will be my 47th Christmas and I don't think there has been one in my lifetime! Oh and I don't mean a couple of snowflakes either, proper snow on the ground ready to go sledging.

Oh god no thanks....

Can't think of anything worse than slipping and skidding all over the place on the way back from my afternoon pint...

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
2010 apparently. Snow, lovely when it's falling, a pain when it turns to sludge covered ice. Mind you, when it falls on a normal weekday and a snow day means no work and a stroll to a country pub, strangers and kin in good spirits. Now that is one of life's great pleasures.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
2010 apparently. Snow, lovely when it's falling, a pain when it turns to sludge covered ice. Mind you, when it falls on a normal weekday and a snow day means no work and a stroll to a country pub, strangers and kin in good spirits. Now that is one of life's great pleasures.

2010?! more like 1810.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

2010, u sure, I appreciate that winter wasn't to pretty but I don't remember snow on the ground in Brighton at Christmas that year?

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
1962 for sure , cant remember one since though i do remember it flumped down new years eve in the 80s , nice mild night went into sherrys wearing a lovely new skimpy top and nice new spats it took me 2 hours to slide home

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
1962 for sure , cant remember one since though i do remember it flumped down new years eve in the 80s , nice mild night went into sherrys wearing a lovely new skimpy top and nice new spats it took me 2 hours to slide home
Pretty sure it was Boxing Day that it started snowing in '62.

Met office seems to agree:

The winter of 1962/63 was the coldest for 200 years in Britain. The Met Office describe it:
It began abruptly just before Christmas in 1962. The weeks before had been changeable and stormy, but then on 22 December a high pressure system moved to the north-east of the British Isles, dragging bitterly cold winds across the country. This situation was to last much of the winter.
A belt of rain over northern Scotland on 24 December turned to snow as it moved south, giving Glasgow its first white Christmas since 1938. The snow-belt reached southern England on Boxing Day and parked over the country, bringing a snowfall of up to 30 cm.

Last edited:

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I reckon there was one about '72, as I remember walking down Hartington Road to my aunt's house with about an inch of snow on the ground, always went to my aunt's at Xmas. But it may have been Boxing Day........

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
2010, u sure, I appreciate that winter wasn't to pretty but I don't remember snow on the ground in Brighton at Christmas that year?
Apparently
image.jpg

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Mid 70s - it was certainly a white Christmas when I was in single digits.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
There was snow on the ground Christmas day 2010. This I know to be a fact as I traipsed through Stamner Woods with my dog. It was also bloody cold which is why the snow hadn't melted from the months earlier dumpings.
I've just read a Jackanory story from the Daily Fail about the impending armageddon weather event due to hit the UK this Christmas. Every year they forecast the coldest ever since the ice age. The NAO and the AO models do not seem to indicate they are going to be correct this time around

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here